Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-16 09:43:00

gormsby

End-all and beat-all << End-all and be-all

I noticed “end-all and beat-all” on a blog post today regarding web page styling: http://html5reset.org/. Seems like an obvious eggcorn deriving from “end-all and be-all” (which, tangentially, I tend to think of first as “be-all and end-all.”) Some Google counts:

“End-all and be-all”: about 1,280,000
“Be-all and end-all”: about 44,800,000
“End-all and beat-all”: about 143,000
“Beat-all and end-all”: about 574,000

#2 2010-08-16 12:40:28

fpberger
Eggcornista

Re: End-all and beat-all << End-all and be-all

Well don’t that beat all…

#3 2010-09-27 07:44:35

mskyle

I heard another variation on this on NPR this morning in a story about a DEA program to collect old prescription drugs (audio here) – “end all TO beat all”

Other uses:

Trusting God is the end all to beat all

If you actually like rats, roaches, noise, gun shots, having your car broken into, staff that thinks she’s the end all to beat all

The braided hoses of course are not absolutley the end all to beat all, but you will eliminate the possibility of a burst hose.

SE ranking is not the end all to beat all when it comes to websites and sales.

The whole saying “end-all and be-all”/”be-all and end-all” isn’t exactly transparent, so I can see why people incline towards the “beat all” construction, though to me that makes the “end-all” part make even less sense!

#4 2010-09-27 09:30:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I love these.

that makes the “end-all” part make even less sense!

To me that phrase is mixed up with the “[war] to end all [war]s” construction. Both phrases essentially come to mean “the ultimate”.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2010-09-27 10:21:42

jorkel
Eggcornista

Excellent eggcorn find. “Beat-all” is a much better match for “end-all” when it comes to active and decisive imagery: beating and putting and end to all challenges. By contrast, the “be” of “be-all” seems a bit too passive … almost Zen-like.

Last edited by jorkel (2010-09-27 10:24:35)

Board footer