Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-09-29 17:08:53

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"do" for "due"

Various ways of confusing “do” with “due” have been discussed here before, including this one. I just thought I’d mention it, since I came across it in my reading today, and some of you may not have seen this variation before:
“He’s played with Stevie Ray Vaughan and many of the well known guitars, just for some reason never really got his just do.” (from an Amazon music chat thread).

#2 2010-09-29 23:45:35

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "do" for "due"

I’m often suspicious of reshapings that are exact homophones of the acorn, but “do diligence” for “due diligence” may have real eggcorn potential since the emphasis is so explicitly on getting something done. A good number of the online instances are puns, but that at least attests that someone is thinking along those lines.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-09-29 23:46:30)

#3 2010-09-30 09:03:30

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

There are a fair few “pay my dos/does” out there too:

Been raised in a restaurant family and have paid my dos in the industry.

bq.Thats me and college done with now FOREVER… I think I’ve paid my dos.

I paid my dos and I paid the cost.

Plus more with ‘pay/paying/pays’. I can see the semantics dimly: you ‘do’ enough to have paid your ‘dos’.

The choice of ‘does’ strikes me as odd. You’d think that ‘he does’ and its pronunciation would block the plural of ‘do’ from being ‘does’.

Pat, I’m with you on the pronunciation. But plenty of people aren’t: your inner Californian might appreciate this eggcornish reshaping:

There are a whole host of Beach Boys songs you could include “Little Douce Coupe”, “Little Honda” or “Custom Machine”

Loads of hits for “little douce coupe”

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#4 2013-11-12 15:07:46

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

And here it is in the opposite direction (from a comment posted on Quora):

Prisons are the prime example of a bureaucracy you can learn how to engineer the system to work with you instead of against you and with little to make due with you will become more of a lifehacker.

Board footer