Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-10-06 21:16:53

umechan

scourging the Internet

I saw this in a blog entry, and a quick Google reveals it’s quite popular (over 5000 hits). I love the image of beating the Internet into submission to find what you need…

“I canceled my preorder on the fly in anger, and rushed home, scourging the internet to find a copy from overseas.”

#2 2010-10-07 11:05:12

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: scourging the Internet

“Scourging the internet” looks like it might be half eggcornical, but mostly catachrestic. There are other odd usages out there that look as if someone was temporarily at a loss and substituted an approximately consonant word without too much thought about its significance. There is always a possibility that they thought that scourge was correct, and in those cases things do get interesting.

Leaky petcock
Unfortunately I have a leaking petcock and have been scowling the internet for a used (or new) part.

A dropped letter:

Dire news from 2004
Today, hundreds or even possibly thousands of skilled Russians desperate for cash are scoring the Internet looking for security vulnerability in the computer networks of companies

A contradictory confusion from a programming polymath
Travel agents have a hard time with people scorning the Internet for the best deals.

photo forum
he is very good at scouraging the internet for 3rd hand experiences and photos, which he compiles on his site in the form of a blog

Misdiagnoses
I am not medically trained, but I spent days coursing the internet and this info feels on target.

But these are not as common as “scourging”, and on top of that, I agree, “scourging the internet” is a funny and satisfying image, umechan.

Board footer