Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-10-29 18:52:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Heaven’s no

Another subtle-if-even-admissible one:

Heaven’s no! Author CS Lovett instructs readers in this vintage book from 1977—“Help Lord, The Devil Wants Me Fat!,”

“Oh heaven’s no. Fox wouldn’t inflame anti-Muslim hysteria. Oh no. Never.

But heaven’s no we cannot have anyone being more popular than Donald especially the woman. We’ll have none of that.

“So, because he is rich you would have me accept him in spite of disliking him?” ¶ “Heaven’s no.

Where did you get the breaded tenderloins? Schwan’s? ¶ -Jamie Schwan’s? Heaven’s NO! I make them from scratch.

There are many hits. There is widespread orthographic confusion between -s and -’s, and it is exacerbated by the fact that -’s is gaining ground as a spelling for the plural in certain contexts (e.g. minding your P’s and Q’s). So most, or conceivably all of these may be simply misspellings.
However, some may be invoking the the “No!” of heaven, rather than calling the heavens to witness the strength of their negation.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2010-11-16 17:02:56

frippo

Re: Heaven’s no

I like the ”’NO!’ of Heaven” interpretation, but it’s probably that darn apostrophe problem (which I think is gaining ground as a plural in all contexts, unfortunately).

Board footer