Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-02 15:59:37

pbasch

A Flaw in the Ointment...

Feels greasy on the skin? Would that be a flaw?

This stuff drives me crazy. I do love the inadvertent poetry, but I feel that we are losing odd old forms and having them replaced by commonplace words. “Honing in on” really raises my shackles. Er, hackles.

#2 2006-09-02 22:37:52

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: A Flaw in the Ointment...

“Flaw in the ointment” is in the Database: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/133/flaw/

I know what you mean about losing odd old words. I’ve had many posts on the forum in which I’ve railed against people railing against linguistic change, but I too have a sentimental attachment to a lot of quirky old words endangered by their eggcornish progeny.

But in this regard, “hone in on” is something of a fence-sitter for me. “Home in on” is a rank newcomer, a phrase that hasn’t been around a whole lot longer than “hone in on”; it’s been competing with the eggcorn for most of its short life. And “hone” as a verb isn’t all that old, but it’s not a verb you meet everyday, and it certainly carries more than a whiff of its ancient, Anglo-Norse roots. The substituted word in most eggcornish phrases is a really common word; “hone in on” by contrast is a bit of an oddball in featuring a quirky word like “hone.” As a result, I like it—it keeps “hone” in front of people, and reminds them of a useful alternative to more common words like “sharpen,” “refine,” “practice,” etc.

Board footer