Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-22 12:35:23

DjakFrost

Nowendays from "nowadays"

I first noticed this on a [url=http://consumerist.com/2010/11/blacklisted-from-motel-6-for-complaining-about-moldy-shower-curtain.html]blog comment[/url].
[quote]Once upon a time, back when I was a little kid in the 70’s and 80’s I loved staying at Motel 6… Nowendays? Not so much.[/quote]

Google reveals many more examples.

What I wonder is whether this is some kind of reference to the “end of days,” or indicative of an older, obsolete spelling of “now on days” (OED), itself a split from the contemporary “now of days” or “now o’ days.”

#2 2010-11-22 17:06:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Nowendays from "nowadays"

I wonder if it’s not a blend with “now ’n’ then” or “now ’n’ again”. Or is it misspelling now in days , which could be shortened from something like “now, in these days”. (Nowindays gets significantly more hits than nowendays, though both would round out to a thousand or so.)
An interesting error, though not highly eggcornical: It looks likely to be standard for some who’ve written it, but the shifted pieces are not highly meaningful.
Welcome to the forum, Djak.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-11-22 18:11:06)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-11-23 18:34:23

DjakFrost

Thanks, David. Longtime browser, first time contributor.

And sorry for the failed phpBB codes.

#4 2010-11-23 20:28:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

You can edit your post to fix the codes. I always go find a post from kem or pat or somebody who knows what they’re doing, to remember how to make them work right. I looked up a page on phpBB eons ago, but a lot of stuff it said didn’t seem to work.
I think the following works: quotemark+text you want to show underlined+quotemarkColonTargetURL
(The + is the plus symbol, not a metatextual operator; Colon is the : mark, and so forth. The URL needs to be complete with initial http:// I’m pretty sure.)
For quotes try starting a paragraph with bq.Space at the left margin.
(Btw I put periods between paragraphs because at least with the skin I use the display otherwise runs the paragraphs together. I think with some other skins that doesn’t happen. Oh, well!)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-11-23 20:31:44)

#5 2010-11-24 01:40:48

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Hey, parse that the way I meant it: “I always go find a post from [[kem or pat or somebody] who knows what they’re doing]”. Not ““I always go find a post from [kem or pat or [somebody who knows what they’re doing]]”!

#6 2010-11-24 11:54:47

patschwieterman
Administrator

When you’re talking code, finding someone who knows what they’re doing instead of me isn’t at all a bad idea. Chris’s quick guide to Textile shortcuts is available by clicking on that “Textile” button at the lower left corner of the “Quick Post” box (which is visible only when you’re logged in).

Last edited by patschwieterman (2010-11-24 12:03:15)

#7 2010-11-24 23:01:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Of course I didn’t mention (’cause I didn’t think of it till just now) the parse “kem or pat or somebody; who knows what they’re doing?”

Board footer