Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-21 03:00:02

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'direbolical' for 'diabolical'

‘Dire’ and ‘shambles’ often appear together in discussions and articles relating to recent sporting and other disappointments. Sometimes they are joined by ‘diabolical’ which has, perhaps, helped establish the usage in such contexts of ‘shambolic’ and ‘shambolical’. The appearance of ‘direbolical’ in this company is not at all surprising…

Well done lads for playing absolutley direbolical and earning B#20- B#60000 each for it! Now have another long rest (like the one i gave you last week …
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/f … _city.html – 39k

The accounts of the 1400 strong MOD and civilian policemen is shocking and the worst of it all is the total ignorance and direbolical intelligence which …
hubpages.com/hub/what-the-battle-of-the-beanfield-means-to-me – 25k –

It certainly deserved a mention over the inexplicably direbolical Independance Day… ... Read More · DanCurley · About me. RE: Have A Nice Apocalypse …
www.empireonline.com/features/top10/mov … 401&page=2 – 77k –

I also found a variant which relates equally well to an old ‘diabollockal’ post:

direbollockall start to the season, yay. Ninja-666. Aug 14 2007, 18:20. hope you lot have remembered that the second game week deadline is in 10 mins …
forums.babblers.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php?t33086.html – 12k

#2 2008-10-27 19:38:08

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'direbolical' for 'diabolical'

This one works better for dialects that convert a syllable-final r to vowel lengthening. Works well for them.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-10-27 19:38:37)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2008-10-28 12:53:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

It’s easy to forget that although we tap the same vowel keys and understand each other perfectly on our little screens, face-to-face encounters would reveal much scope for misunderstanding/misreading. Most folk I hear and talk to are non-rhotic and it didn’t even occur to me that ‘dire’ and ‘dia-’ weren’t necessarily homophones. I wonder whether expressions like ‘dyer circumstances’ (82 ughits) and ‘dyer situation’ (42 ughits) are just mis-spellings or are really about the likelihood of actually dying?

#4 2010-12-06 17:33:48

David Bird
Eggcornista

Fix the Murray River, Australia
all states need to look to their premiers to get the whole picture and they must be made accountable for this situation..i am in really no place to give advice to you who are in diastraits cause i am living inTownsville,where we have enough water at the moment

#5 2018-05-08 08:04:12

David Bird
Eggcornista

It is possible to go full bollockal.

l was expecting something better, but l don’t know why, this is the same director who made dire bollockal Unbreakable
movie chat

I dont want to complete a turbo conversion because fuel economy would be dire bollockal
car review

This is for every life story, every intertwined tale of guts and glory
Course some of them are nice and bright and corny, and some of them will shake your hand less warmly
Outlook still stormy, every sweeping saga from the here now to the here after
Tall tales around the campfire, tragedies of fallen empires
And everything that will and won’t transpire, sometimes it’s just too dire
Bollockal, carrying our stories like DNA in hair follicles
Lugging chronicles like baggage handlers,
I’m not sticking around I’m shipping out with the ramblers, collecting chapters of fractures and raptures
High on a cactus with a bunch of backpackers, toasting backwards with a shot of Cachacas
But that’s another story, and I’ll tell it if you let me
But in the meantime just remember to forget me
Laid him on the green

Board footer