Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-03 17:20:11

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

The Search Window Here

New Posters Note: WE HAVE TWO SEPARATE SEARCH WINDOWS IN THIS SITE. If you click on “Search” on this page, you will search this Forum and its connected pages, except for the Eggcorn Database.

The Eggcorn Database has its own separate search window, and you need to go to the database (click above), if you want to search the database. If you want to check whether something already has been submitted, you usually need to search in both places.
————————

I put up a post on the way we here U.S. soldiers and marines say that they find CACHETs of weapons, rather than CAcHEs. Before I put up this post, I searched within this eggcorn site, for CACHET, and the site search thing gave me nuthin. But just now, I looked for CACHET OF WEAPONS on regular Google, and Google sent me back to this eggcorn site.

So, I am sorry to duplicate, and I am not as clever as I thought I was, but what the heck? I do not want to waste you attention with stuff you already have seen. I have plenty more. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the site search window here at eggcorn? How can I improve?

Last edited by Tom Neely (2006-09-15 15:35:38)

#2 2006-09-03 17:55:09

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: The Search Window Here

Yeah, there’s a problem with the site search function. I’m not the technical guru, though I know our guru (who’s also the site owner/founder) is aware of the problem. The basic catch seems to be that this is now a large site that’s gotten various major overhauls, and some parts of the code don’t want to play nice with other parts of the code. More specifically, there are certain “islands” in the archived contribution pages, etc., that can be accessed by hand, but not through the search button.

Before I realized this, I used to gently-but-firmly remind people to avoid duplicating things on the contribute pages, but now I just don’t worry about it. When I’m searching for something I know was in the Contribute pages, I jump over to the regular Google site to look for it. (Throwing the word “eggcorn” into the mix helps.)

Nevertheless, the Eggcorns Database search button seems to be work fine for bringing up things in the Database proper, so I still remind people about that.

#3 2006-09-03 18:22:57

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Thanks. I will be careful. You have a fantastic web site. Watch out for over-enthusiastic new joiners.

#4 2007-01-05 16:40:22

myword

I’m glad to know someone else has experienced this problem. Prior to my first post, I conducted a nonproductive search, having entered one of the keywords comprising my eggcorn. After posting my eggcorn, the adminstrator suggested that I use the search feature before posting and pointed me to earlier examples of the eggcorn I had posted. Being a sensitive soul, I felt a bit stung but decided it wasn’t worth it to go into a long explanation of my unsuccessful attempt to do so. At least now I understand where the problem lies and how to avoid duplications in the future.

#5 2008-02-01 16:23:36

JonW719
Eggcornista

This continues to be a problem… We have a lot of new members who dutifully search before posting, only to have their post “shot down” (albeit usually very gently!) by those who know that there are two search engines.

I would suggest two simple stop-gap measures that could prevent this:

1) When one logs on to the main page of the site (before going to either the database or the forum) there is a message from Chris (currently stating that there was an outage) that could be redone to give a couple simple instructions on searching the database first and then the forum before contributing; AND

2) a “stickie,” which I have seen on a number of forums (something like “What to do before you post”), could be placed at the top of the forum index and left there for all to access.

This might save newbies from the “sting” mentioned by myword above…

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-02-01 16:24:18)

Feeling quite combobulated.

Board footer