Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-12-15 16:11:14

Quizzicalbee

Deviled eggs > Doubled eggs

I just heard this. I can see why someone might think “doubled eggs,” since you are kind of doubling the size of the egg yolks when you mix them up and then put them back into their egg white containers.

#2 2010-12-15 18:21:01

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Deviled eggs > Doubled eggs

Really nice find, Quizzic. There are several dozens hits for this one on the web. Here’s a recipe from someone called fishbait (no relation to our fishbait): http://www.grouprecipes.com/37482/delic … eggs.html, and a menu offer: http://www.cgmountainview.com/CATERING_MENU.html.

#3 2010-12-15 19:27:00

Quizzicalbee

So how does this get added to the master list of eggcorns?

#4 2010-12-15 23:23:40

jorkel
Eggcornista

Eggcorns aren’t being added to the list as far as I can tell.

#5 2010-12-16 00:58:35

patschwieterman
Administrator

Jorkel wrote:

Eggcorns aren’t being added to the list as far as I can tell.

Maybe true. There was a little stub of an entry that appeared in April of this year, but before that you have to go back almost exactly a year for the last full, proper new entry into the Database.

Quiz—The Database and Forum are somewhat separate entities, and in the last couple of years the Database has been fairly moribund. The Forum, however, is in full swing, so feel free to join the fray. I think “doubled egg” is a great find, and I’m surprised it wasn’t caught earlier.

#6 2010-12-17 17:29:34

yanogator
Eggcornista

Another possibility for the source is that it’s sort of like a twice-baked potato. You hard-cook the egg, then make it into a deviled egg, so you’ve done two preparations to produce one result. Also, each egg produces two deviled eggs, so you’ve doubled it that way, too.

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer