Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-12-28 13:48:58

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Perpeturate

While these points of argument help to sway the public away from mandatory screening, they also perpeturate the common belief that….......

Plenty of these around.

Semantics anyone?

Is there ‘duration’ in there or is it just an intrusive r?

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2010-12-28 19:06:21

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Perpeturate

Probably saturate , also perhaps maturation . Seems the the backformed verb to durate ought to be around. [Or maybe it’s (mis)formed from the Spanish durar ‘last (a particular amount of time), endure’.]

something must durate five seconds, for us to perceive a year some definite sensation would have to durate a year.

[Urban Dictionary] durate or “to durate” is a verb which simply means to calculate or measure the duration of an event.

The study tour is panned to durate 5 days (excluding travel to and from) in the period June 26th to July 3rd.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-12-28 22:50:22

burred
Eggcornista

I’m getting strong notes of perpetrate. Here’s an interesting purple trader.

Celebrities such as Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera penetrate the notion that women are not living or looking up to standard
http://www.cyberessays.com/lists/essays … page0.html

Not to mention

Electric Corner
If the broken battery tray wasn’t the only purple traitor, this cheesy battery clamp is in cahoots.

Online fiction
Then the zoo people tack up his grinning kisser, showing his bum teeth, on the front and back gates of their zoo. They also put a prescription under the picture which says the above culpert is very wide like Bonzo the elephant two cages down and also that the purple trader is not allowed to go within two-hundred feet of the zoo, especially near the hippo section.

Last edited by burred (2010-12-28 22:53:52)

#4 2010-12-29 03:06:49

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

“Purple traitor/trader” is excellent. I see that it’s been mentioned in passing before. Was it ever an eggcorn in the wild?

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2010-12-29 03:11:13)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#5 2010-12-29 09:32:08

burred
Eggcornista

No, I don’t think so. I’m skeptical of these hits, they’re just too good to be true.

#6 2010-12-29 10:09:21

kem
Eggcornista

When I read the “purple traitor” post I had a moment of déjà entendu. But when I encountered it, I’m fairly sure was a pun. I see “purple traitor” is widely employed as a pun on web pages. It would be hard to make a case for the phrase slipping over into non-intentional discourse and becoming a pickled eggcorn. Perhaps a confession…

Last edited by kem (2010-12-29 10:16:44)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer