Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-01 11:15:38

jorkel
Eggcornista

VENTURE (vent your) frustration

I recall a conversation from the mid-1980s in which one person said he was so annoyed at a homework assignment that he set fire to his pencil, and a second person responded with how that was an interesting way to “venture frustration”. I thought that was such a colorful use of language that it has stuck with me all these year … and it wasn’t until just today that I realized that he must actually have said “vent your” rather than “venture.” A Mondegreen perhaps.

Last edited by jorkel (2011-01-01 11:16:21)

#2 2011-01-01 11:47:28

kem
Eggcornista

Re: VENTURE (vent your) frustration

Here it is as a mondegreen:

Music thread: “I’m unclean, a libertine. And everytime you venture spleen I seem to lose the power of speech, you’re slipping slowly from my reach, you grow me like an evergreen you’ve never seen the lonely me at all. ”

Apparently these are the misinterpreted lyrics of the song “Without You I’m Nothing” by Placebo.

“Venture << vent your” seems like it might be an eggcorn for some folks. Hard to find on the web, though. I think this is one example:

Photography forum: “Do not curse, yell, smack or otherwise venture anger or your camera.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2011-01-01 12:13:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

Nice find with “venture anger.” There are probably others lurking out there if the right companion word for venture can be found.

#4 2011-01-01 16:59:55

jorkel
Eggcornista

...and speaking of Mondegreens involving venture… I was a bit disappointed when I learned that the song by America was “Ventura Highway” and not the more generic notion “Venture a Highway.” I don’t know if this was intended by the musicians… it sometimes has me wondering.

#5 2011-01-02 00:39:16

burred
Eggcornista

How I love these phrases which float up to the surface after 25 or 50 years, to be considered with new eyes – aha. The eggcorn forum allows you to get your semantic house in order. I too have the decades-long digestive cycle. Ah! I’ve coddled an eggcorn for all these years.

Here’s another take, waiting for someone else’s aha moment. Or hinting at organ traffic.

Antique Machine Removal news I totally accept that you need to vend your spleen but not 3 times on the same rant.

Politico forum What are ya gonna do once he is gone? Ya gotta find someone to vend your bile on.

International Ragnarok Online you should probably place this in the Rants Forums so you can vend your anger.

Russian blog Sometimes you just need to vend your frustration about how Internet Explorer just isn’t standards compliant.

Board footer