Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-07-22 22:06:24

burred
Eggcornista

"cold sack" and "cult sack" for cul-de-sac

A cul-de-sac is a dead-end street, a blind alley, or some sort of physical or metaphorical impasse, in both French and English. It is pronounced “cull de sack” in English; the French pronunciation is more like “cue de sack”. It means “bottom of the sack”, and was originally medical before adopting its current meaning about 2 C. ago. I found two new ways of describing an impasse: as a cold sack and a cult sack. The latter is easier for me to understand, as a place that is hidden away, or occulted. A cold sack would be where the traffic circulation, a city’s lifeblood, is blocked?

Classified ad, Los angeles:
This house is located in Van Nuys in a cold sack street. Nice neighborhood.
(http://losangeles.kijiji.com/c-Housing- … Z140802829)

Roommates wanted, Arizona:
The house is located in the cold sack, no neighbors in the back.
(http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/roo/1282001846.html)

Bedroom for rent, Aberdeen:
From the 1st of June a large double bedroom will be available in the orchard a quiet cold sack just off of Kings Street and 15 minutes walk from the city centre till September.
(http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/47/38979447.html)

Home for sale, Michigan:
This beautiful sprawling ranch is located on a cult sack offers beautiful hardwood…
(http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/MI/City/SOUTHGATE)

Citizen Review Board meeting:
Chairman [] questioned if the car actually was “partly on the street” as it was apparently parked at the end of a cult-sack.
(http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/MI/City/SOUTHGATE)

#2 2009-07-23 16:40:14

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "cold sack" and "cult sack" for cul-de-sac

David, if you thought being in a cold sack was tough, things can get worse:

After exiting the boardwalk I found myself in a colder sack on a street I didn’t recognise and couldn’t find on the map. Basically I was lost. ...

And one further variant suggesting, perhaps, the shape of the thing:

The house is in a safe, nice neighborhood, and the house is also in a collar sack low traffic area too. Prime location (5 to 10 mins)>> from South Coast …

#3 2009-07-23 23:25:29

kem
Eggcornista

And even worser:

From the blog of a teen: “after that we went back to our house at like 10:15 and our coldest sac was having REAL fireworks with a whole bunch of neighbors outside”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2010-07-14 22:10:42

David Bird
Eggcornista

Just tidying up the back corners of the eggcorn incubation chamber, where this variant heard from the English World Cup commentator was lurking – a coldy sack. Nineteen unique legit hits.

Those were the days before the ridculas health and safety rules took over
Having a ride in the back of the fletches baker van was ace, go carts with no breaks down your streets on a coldy sack was too.

#5 2011-01-03 06:16:00

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

And another, which even makes a little bit of sense given that curls are curved or rounded:

Is the desire to become modern and at the same time maintain their traditions only a curl-de-sac that leads to nowhere?

Gorgeous Setting On A 1.17 Acre Lot At The End Of A Curl De Sac.

Talking to a Ballymun girl a few years who was being relocated from the towers to a new house, She says ” Yeah de house is luvly, be greah fuh the Kids, I’ll be able to let them out to play on the street coz it’ll be grand an safe coz it’s in a “curly sack” and everythin” (Cul de Sac)

#6 2011-01-03 09:28:39

burred
Eggcornista

Heavenly.

#7 2011-01-03 09:35:19

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Spencer lives with his aunt and uncle in a small coulda-sack near Providence High,

It shoulda been one.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#8 2011-01-03 18:08:07

kem
Eggcornista

“Curl-de-sac” is the best version of “cul-de-sac” we’ve seen. You can almost hear the creaking of the semantic gate as it swings on its rusted hinges.

#9 2011-01-03 23:31:06

burred
Eggcornista

Home for sale What I love
1. Coup-de-sack 2. Prairie-like yard

Property in France Idyllic situation, queue de sac, next to a castle

Cool your heels in a cool-de-sac

Driving Directions Enter Liberty of Founder Village, home on corner of second cool-de-sac

Dining tips, Serbia This restaurant is located at the end of a quiet cool-de-sac, in the woods

Washington real estate Situated in a cool de sack, the townhouse offers convenience, safety and tranquility all at once

#10 2011-01-06 00:49:17

.NetRolller 3D

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase … id:1070878 – “Head south of the river – OK, south of Lady Bird Lake – and enter the 78704 of “We’re Here Because We’re Not All There” bumper-sticker pride, and you’ll find, there off the nether end of Lamar Boulevard, in a large cul-de-shack beyond the parking lot of Strut clothiers, the Austin Art Garage.”

#11 2018-08-12 12:51:00

burred
Eggcornista

I would have thought we had covered all the cutest, aptest curves on cul-de-sac. Here’s an ever cuter one, based on a metathesis.

My lot is on a cuddle-sack, so my yard is shaped like a piece of pie
Keywords: Back Doors, Cuddle, Pie
pinterest

Located on a cuddle sack with garden lawns and spacious backyard.
apt. for rent

This house is surrounded by the best nature has to offer sitting quietly in a cuddle-sack which provides an ideal setting for many buyers.
For sale

First noted on r/boneappletea. Such things as cuddle-sacks apparently exist, notably for the psychological care of your guinea pig.

#12 2018-08-30 08:46:22

kem
Eggcornista

The metathesis of central consonants makes “cuddle sack” more interesting.

#13 2023-08-14 21:27:46

David Bird
Eggcornista

I missed an entry from 2007 for cuddle sack: https://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/vie … p?id=2092.

Yet another variant that I quite like. It’s not really a sack. It’s just called one.

This home is located near the end of a called a sack street.
Real estate agent

#14 2023-08-30 02:25:30

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I wonder how they might deliver solid fuel to such such a place?

...open central courtyard and inward looking at the scale of a house, and narrow coal de-sack at the scale of urban fabric.

For this reason the end of the coal-de-sack needs to be terminated closer to Harewood Road as is shown on the draft plans for Sails Street, ...

This property is located in a quite coal de sack neighborhood, providing safe walking areas outside the home for residents that are physically active.

#15 2023-09-03 19:01:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Fwiw.

From Glades Road Turn Left Onto 1016 Follow For Approx 3 Miles Turn Right On Barker Lane The Right On Barker Ct. Home Is In Culty Sac On The Left Look For Sign

Vacant land located at 1506 Putter Ct #301, Fernley, NV 89408 sold for $35000 on Apr 9, 2004. MLS# 302350. LARGE CULTY SAC LOT AVAILABLE AT DESERT LAKES …

sort of like the time someone on craigslist told me they lived in a “culty sack”.

I have a lovely 2 bedroom masive maisonette flat with street parking in a culty sack great neighbours and great area right beside a school

Not a lot of them. Unless there is an esoteric religion predominant in the area I have a difficult time getting any eggcornish reading out of it. “Hidden, private”, as David B suggested for “cult sack”, doesn’t fit with the -y suffix for me.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-09-04 00:52:27)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#16 2023-09-04 03:31:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Culty would, of course, be pronounced cul-de by North Americans in particular, and has a suitable sense of small numbers and exclusivity which seems to fit nicely. And leads to culled sack, which could suggest being carefully chosen from a larger group. I won’t dwell upon culled sac as it seems to be giving me some discomfort in the never regions.

Down the alley, we are, off Commercial, our own little culled sack. A place to sack out, not get stepped on.

Wonderful 3bd 2ba, 1598 sqft home Well-maintained ready to move in, vaulted ceilings, indoor laundry, enjoy a culled sack neighborhood privacy , Backyard is…

Mayhew Estates are delighted to offer for sale this modern semi detached home set in a tucked away culled sac within the popular acres development.

This 1000 m2 level allotment is found in a quiet little culled sac, surrounded by a host of beautiful homes, and perfectly positioned …

Board footer