Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-03 11:00:01

Alan Tait

Bull-rink for bullring

I saw this on my boss’s whiteboard this morning – we’re both EFL teachers. Whether the bull or the toreador would be wearing the skates I can only guess. But there are a couple more examples out there in cyberspace.

#2 2011-01-03 12:52:20

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Bull-rink for bullring

For me rink already came from ring , so I doubted this one. (Not that it was an error and one worth noting, but that it brought any serious restructuring with it.) However I find outːthat rink is from theː

late 14c., Scottish dialect, probably from O.Fr. renc, reng “row, line,” from Frankish and ultimately connected with ring (n.). Probably confused in meaning with ring (n.) in sense of “area marked out for a sporting contest.” Ice hockey sense first attested 1896. (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=rink)

Sounds like the restructuring happened somewhere in the past, going from ring to row and back to ring.

Welcome to the forum, Alanǃ

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2011-01-03 12:53:03)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer