Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-20 08:20:46

jorkel
Eggcornista

Give the cold SHOWER (shoulder)

As far as imagery goes, a cold shower is a bit more familiar than a cold shoulder (when taken literally). Seems that this might be a hypercorrection, but an eggcorn nonetheless? At any rate, even “cold shower” isn’t taken literally below; it’s still just a metaphor for remaining distant / being slightly cruel by ignoring.

Examples

Hazel Daniella M. (NotUrNormalDoll) on Twitter#confessionhour when I’m digging a guy I give him the cold shower cuz I’m the over zealous type and don’t wanna scare em about 1 hour ago via ÃœberTwitter …
twitter.com/NotUrNormalDoll – Cached

This next one has a UK source … Is “cold shower” the standard usage there?

Can you tell me what feelings a guy must if he suddenly says that …In fact i gave him the cold shower couple of times. He said we are soulmates in front of his GF and i replied in a joking way: “yeah, made for each other …
www.seducemen.co.uk/.../can-you-tell-me … ust-if-he- suddenly-says-that-she-is-his-soulmate.html?... – Cached

Should have done this – Rennlist Discussion Forums4 posts – 4 authors
A cup would have been cheaper but it’s the trailer situation that gave me the cold shower. Nice rig BTW. FFaust is online now …
forums.rennlist.com/.../997…/609094-should-have-done-this.html – Cached

Lyrics (below) may not count…

Evripidis and His Tragedies Ruru I’d Love To Lyricsnext minute you give me the cold shower. I can never make you stay nothing but a heartache every day! Ru Ru I’d love to…but you never seem to care …
www.lyricsvip.com/Evripidis-and…/Ruru … yrics.html – Cached

Finally got the 3DMark 2001 not to lockup with the buggy EP 8KHA+ ...6 posts – 3 authors – Last post: Aug 21, 2002
Yeah MuFu – you gave me the cold shower in that thread :D … I downloaded all the bioses on the Epox page but haven’t been around to …
discussions.hardwarecentral.com/archive/index.php/t-133632.html – Cached

Last edited by jorkel (2011-01-20 08:23:36)

#2 2011-01-20 10:33:35

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Give the cold SHOWER (shoulder)

Hypercorrection? How so? (Not doubting that you may be right, but I don’t see it.

“Taking a cold shower” is an established (clichéd) way to dampen sexual ardor. This likely arises (likely repeatedly and independently?) from a blend, then. The contexts of a couple of the usages above seem to fit this idea.

“Giving (/turning) the cold shoulder” has itself been eggcornified by etymologists who thought that, rather than meaning “rejecting a person by turning in an emotionally cold manner to present the back of your shoulder to him” it meant “giving a person leftovers (a cold shoulder of mutton), i.e. giving him a less-than-warm welcome.” This debunks that “folk etymology”. I wonder how widespread it ever was: I certainly was surprised when I first heard it. Interesting that the first citation (Sir Walter Scott) has cauld shouder , where shouder would sound as much like shower as shoulder to most of us.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2011-01-20 13:15:33

kem
Eggcornista

I agree with David T. Looks to me like the residue of a blend.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2011-01-20 16:28:44

David Bird
Eggcornista

What would you make of the cold soldier treatment? Being stiff and formal? Or just a metathetical confusion.

Song interpretation i think it’s pretty simple…this girl is giving him the cold soldier and he wants to call her…

HuffPost comment I can understand why he got the cold soldier. I am very disappointed in Sen. Obama also.

Movie synopsis Edward gives her the cold soldier in a weird way, then suddenly disappears for a few days.

Forum comment
when I try to provide the answer what happened to us, staffers give me the cold soldier.

See also shoulder on

#5 2011-01-20 18:19:17

jorkel
Eggcornista

Thanks for the points I overlooked David T. The blend you mention works in a few of the examples, but less perfectly in the others.

By hypercorrection I mean that someone hears “cold shoulder” correctly but rejects it in favor of the more familiar “cold shower.”

Board footer