Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-28 03:23:38

antimatters

"antipasta" for "antipasto"

On a trip to Italy recently, a friend and I discovered we were both committing the same error, which might be a cross-language eggcorn.

We both thought that what were calling “antipasta” meant everything except the pasta. But luckily we had a patient Italian friend with us who explained it’s “antipastO” and has nothing to do with being against pasta. “Anti” means before, and “pasto” means dinner.

#2 2011-01-28 19:31:26

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "antipasta" for "antipasto"

Good eggcorn, antimatters. You’re not the only two who’ve come to this logical conclusion.

Yahoo Questions
Q. What is antipasta?
A. I think, but I may be mistaken, it is a dish that is minus any pasta. Let me go look on my Macaroni Grill take out menu…..ok, i was wrong, because it can have pasta….but according to Mac Grill’s menu, they call their appetizers “antipasti”.....so maybe that’s the same as antipasta.
Hope this helps!!

Also out there: antipesto.

Board footer