Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-01-28 09:23:38

antimatters

"antipasta" for "antipasto"

On a trip to Italy recently, a friend and I discovered we were both committing the same error, which might be a cross-language eggcorn.

We both thought that what were calling “antipasta” meant everything except the pasta. But luckily we had a patient Italian friend with us who explained it’s “antipastO” and has nothing to do with being against pasta. “Anti” means before, and “pasto” means dinner.

#2 2011-01-29 01:31:26

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "antipasta" for "antipasto"

Good eggcorn, antimatters. You’re not the only two who’ve come to this logical conclusion.

Yahoo Questions
Q. What is antipasta?
A. I think, but I may be mistaken, it is a dish that is minus any pasta. Let me go look on my Macaroni Grill take out menu…..ok, i was wrong, because it can have pasta….but according to Mac Grill’s menu, they call their appetizers “antipasti”.....so maybe that’s the same as antipasta.
Hope this helps!!

Also out there: antipesto.

Board footer