Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-29 00:37:47

kem
Eggcornista

hegitation/hegitate << hesitation/hesitate

The verb “hedge” in its figurative meaning “to limit, to hem in, to monopolize” can invade other words. We have an example in our database: hedgemoney.

The sound and sense of “hedge” may also lie behind the huge number (hundreds, perhaps thousands) of sites that employ “hegitate” and “hegitation” in place of “hesitate,” and “hesitation.” See examples below.

There may be a better explanation, however. The vast majority of the examples of this slip on the web come from sites in India or pages of people with Indian backgrounds. I can think of two reasons for this. One is that a Hindi word with a meaning similar to “hesitate” is influencing this change. The other is that the “s” sound in Hindi is, to our ears, soft, almost a “sh” sound (hear it here), and is thus much nearer to the soft “g” sound than our sibilant English “s,” leading those for whom Hindi is a first language and English a second (i.e., most of those in India who speak English) to the mishearing and misspelling of “hesitation” as “hegitation.”

Post on India singles dating site: “ i am 25 years male from dehradun….wanna meet to a friend with whom i cn share everything without any hegitation ”

Automobile discussion forum: “I looked at your feedback … that is why I sent you a payment without any hegitation ”

Legal advice forum: “leave her without any hegitation ”

Myspace page (Indian background): “So don’t hegitate to chat with me!! ”

Review of Bangladesh resort: “For further and specific information don’t hegitate to dial [this number]”

Metal scrap trader site in Germany: “If you are intersted in this scrap Please don`t hegitate to contact us”

Last edited by kem (2011-01-29 00:38:59)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2011-01-29 17:58:04

burred
Eggcornista

Re: hegitation/hegitate << hesitation/hesitate

Another faint possibility is that it’s a blend with agitate. There are no instances of hedgitation to make the hedge link.

There is another blend with agitation out there, in the form of edgitation, for edgy characters on edge.

Arab financial terrorism satire
once the police leaves you shake it off. the stress and edgitation that is.

Comic book artist
AND PLEASE ITS NOT TYPHON!!! also not typhoon or tyhoon its simply tyhon! it comes from tyhonpholus a made up name (sorry I get a bit edgitated when it comes to that )

Wrestling figure fun
Rey Mysterio entered angered and edgitated!

Student profile
Things that make me cry: edgitated,bad news

Vampire fic
He closed his mouth again and walked out of the darkness ‘’young lady’’ he said neat as he walked behind her. she turned around edgetated but when she saw his handsome face she smiled ‘’yes..’‘

Board footer