Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-02-05 20:14:07

burred
Eggcornista

"Cheek monks" and "cheap monks" for chipmunks

The Ojibwe word for squirrel, ajidamoo, was anglicized as chipmunk.
Ajidamoo, related to “upside down”, refers to the knack of descending trees head first. The English word is evidently imitative of the ‘chip-chip’ alarm call, combined with an influence from mink; early versions included ‘chitmunk’ and ‘chipminck’. The Objibwe were wise to the difference between mink, squirrels, and chipmunks, which they called zhaashaagowaabikoshag. Waninan is Ojibwe for “mistake one thing for another”, and might be useful on this forum if we knew how to use it.

Chipmunks win hearts with the expansibility of their cheek pouches, which can hold an amazing number of cheezies. It’s not surprising that folks think they’re cheekmonks. Their boldness might imply cheek as well.

These two cute cheekmonks are full of homely holiday wishes
http://www.snapily.com/warmest-holiday-wishes.html

Press photo
A cheekmunk with a mouth stuffed with seeds returns to its nest in Canterbury, N.H., to store the goodies for winter.

Blog
Jonathan relayed to me that “cheekmunks” ate through Oma’s car wires, causing her delay

Foto forum
It is a Cheek-munk, I think the first one is very cute!

Blog
cheekmonk on a human body lol…

Another foto
cheek-munk!

Two French tourists think they’re cheekmonks too: 1 and 2.

Their behaviour at campsites as small furry mendicants has given rise to a characterization as “cheap monks”.

ESL class
Thinking my English students now understood something about chipmunks, one girl said, “So…why are they called “cheap”? “Why cheap”, she asked? Then, right after that a student from Albania asked why the second half of the word is “monk”? “Why monk, he asked?” Once they realized that I wasn’t talking about cheap monks that gnaw on wood, eat just about anything, and are sometimes a nuisance to people, we all laughed very hard.

Yellowstone
Wildlife – it is everywhere, but you have to be patient and keep your eyes open. We saw – elk, bison, coyote, fox, wolf, mother bear with two cubs, two moose bulls (from 10 yards away), swans, bold-headed eagles (as well as other large predatory birds). We also saw cheap monks, snakes and a bunch of other smaller animals.

Knicknacks
collectibles miniature animals set of 3 family I think they are cheap monks see photo, they are made of rubber I have 4 set of these.

Travel picture
feeding cheapmonks

Tourist blog We eat with the cheapmonks, we have fun with them at least for 1 hour, especially Oliv who teaches them some tricks.

#2 2011-02-06 00:06:49

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Cheek monks" and "cheap monks" for chipmunks

Cheekmonk? Do you suppose the slang “cheeky monkey” could be influencing the word?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer