Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-02-06 04:12:13

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"gesture" for "venture"!

I was listening to Frank Zappa’s “Civilization, Phaze III” today and one line of the improvised dialogue used the term “I would gesture to say” in a context which made it clear he meant “venture to say”. This being a rather extreme reshaping, I wasn’t surprised that it’s never been mentioned on Eggcorn Forum, and wasn’t expecting to find much when I googled it, but lo and behold, googling “would gesture to say” yields over 900 hits, and it looks like all of them are this eggcorn thing (though some are repeats of the same quote, of course). Some examples:

I would gesture to say the Gears of War(2) fans would tell you the same.

I would gesture to say that it costs them more if I use one gig in a single day versus one gig over a 30 day period.

I would gesture to say she’s about 40- 50 lbs overweight.

Interestingly, googling “I’d gesture to say” yields only 4 hits; for some unknown reason people who use this reshaping almost never use the contraction “I’d” in it.

I admit that the meaning connection needed to make this an eggcorn may be a bit strained, but I think we could say “gesture to say” conjures images of people gesturing while talking. What say you, assembled throng; would you gesture to say it’s an eggcorn or…? And, have any of you ever encountered this odd duck before?

#2 2011-02-06 08:49:54

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "gesture" for "venture"!

There are about two dozen unique hits. But that’s still impressive for such an odd construction. Nice find.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2011-02-07 07:41:34

jorkel
Eggcornista

This is just a suggesture … it sounds like Frank might be giving us the finger.

Last edited by jorkel (2011-02-07 10:29:19)

#4 2011-02-07 10:38:39

David Bird
Eggcornista

I like Joe’s suggestion that “I’d gesture to say” has notes of “I’d suggest”, which makes it a blend, and the hand-waving makes it a squash. Nice.

#5 2011-02-07 18:09:57

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

There are about two dozen unique hits.

kem, pardon my lack of computer savvy, but could you enlighten me as to the easiest/best way to get a good count of unique google-hits? Thanks.

#6 2011-02-07 23:58:07

kem
Eggcornista

Dixon—
To get unique hits, do a search and skip to the last page of the search . Unique hits are listed at the bottom of the last page.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer