Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-02-08 16:52:18

burred
Eggcornista

"brute" for brood

The single-minded devotion of nesting birds suggests the use of brooding for those who nurse their worries and dwell on their problems. On the other hand, other beasts can be equally preoccupied and uncommunicative. Maybe brutes can worry a subject until they do themselves damage. The animal magnetism of “dark bruting looks” works best.

Dating forum
I bruted over it and bruted over it until his sister sends me an email out of nowhere.

Star forum
So while bruting over my new predicament and feeling sorely dejected, fate brought me to a whole new rejuvenation.

Movie forum
every studio is under the impression people only want dark, bruting heroes.

Beefcake
Washboard abs, dark bruting looks and young women swooning over Lautner, star of the Twilight series.

Online fiction
Am I really that fat? thought Cloud, bruting about Reno’s comment.

#2 2022-04-14 15:05:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "brute" for brood

Ran into (and then found) more of these. Seems to be especially popular in gaming circles.

I’m now bruting over the fact I can smell mint gum she’s been chewing in the bedroom.

While all you adolescents are bruting over imaginary “illnesses” you could redirect your negative energy towards strategies to overcoming unhealthy …

I know that those that didn’t like what he said are only bruting over the fact that he is in fact right …

It would have been more than a month’s period I really got bored with this kind of bruting over things and finally I learned to move on.

Even bruting over an argument that you had with your mom, or significant other can be considered as distractive driving.

Despite his bruting personality, he still tries to be a good friend as heart, especially towards his younger brother Magic Wolf.

Brutal behavior may perhaps be thought of as opposite (idealized) human behavior, which should be articulate, demonstrative, and cheerfully social.
Conceivably it is instead (or even also) the notion of an interior bruiting about of the brodden-upon subject. (I did not know that a meaning of the noun “bruit” was “a sound, especially an abnormal one, heard through a stethoscope; a murmur.” The over-and-over-ness and propensity to ill-health of brooding could fit that notion, if anyone were to have known the word.) You do find it written so, though of course it could be just spelling variation.

So instead of spending that night at home (that you decided to have) bruiting over where you should be and what you should have done, ...

we spent a day in a New York hotel suite bruiting over how to get the dinosaurs from where they were to where we are.

the eagle fluttering her young and falcon bruiting over her eggs to warm and to cherish them.

AS HE BRUITED OVER THE DEATHS OF THESE WOMEN HE HAD SO LOVED HE TOOK NO SOLACE OF THE PROSPECT OF REUNITING WITH THEM IN THE HERE AFTER.

It is also used with more directly brutal overtones:

However, Eastwood’s bruiting personality and savage approach makes him less expected when compared to Wayne because you don’t know when he’ll fire or when …

Maybe it is the explosion from the inactive but smoldering bruiting to the overt savagery that makes Eastwood’s action more surprising or less expected than Wayne’s.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-04-14 16:33:03)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer