Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-05 12:23:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

PEER STEERS (peirced ears)

From the website: http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=4047324

“peer steers” instead of “pierced ears” i never put the word pierce into the equation somehow. i though “peer steers” were earings that hung down rather than studs – the missed connections in this misunderstanding are too numerous to go into. —jed (c_o_har…), November 26th, 2003.

I just thought I’d throw this one out for others to interpret. We have a few cryptic words from the misquoter (above), but little else to go on. (Could it be that a peer could grab ahold of those low-hanging earrings and steer someone in a given direction?) Perhaps someone else would like to take a crack at the imagery needed to make this eggcorn work.

I only found one other example:
LISTSERV 14.4
And from my childhood: She has peer steers. (...pierced ears.) I never knew what “peer steers” were until I got older, and it was a big mystery to me. ...
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bi … ist&P=2727

#2 2006-09-06 15:08:38

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: PEER STEERS (peirced ears)

Pushing the interpretational embolism here: Think of PEER PRESSURE. These kids’ PEERS have STEERED them toward these piercings. So the holes or the earrings are PEER STEERS. Huh? Huh? Wudduyuh think?

Board footer