Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-02-18 17:12:41

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Seamsdress" for seamstress

Makes more sense than the original. There are several dozen of these.

this is a porcelain seamsdress
ebay knicknack emporium

you know i’m really kinda lucky about cosplay, my mom’s a seamsdress, and i’m a hair dresser
same person elsewhere: i’m a hairdresser,mother’s a seamsdress, and my brother’s a artist/sculptor
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=108958

Seamstress evolved from OE seamestre, from A.S. seam, for of all things, “seam”, and the A.S. feminine ending of estre. This ending was insufficiently feminine to the Middle English, who added the F. esse. So there’s no mistress in seamstress, which doesn’t stop anyone from hiding one there.

It’s to go towards my dress which my mum is making (she’s a seamistress)
http://saranghaeyo.info/being-a-teenager

Thank you ladies : I think I will give it a go at discussing it with the seamistress. My Mom hates the idea, but I am hoping if the seammistress can show us some ideas without doing it first, she may like some.
http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/i-am … would-work

Linda started out as a seamistress in Mike’s factory and’ ended up as his adulterous Wife.
Soap star news

#2 2011-02-19 10:08:21

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Seamsdress" for seamstress

Both low-hanging eggcorns. Why have we not picked these before?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2011-02-19 12:20:27

jorkel
Eggcornista

Definitely best-of-year material here.

Seamistress makes me think seamy-stress and it all spirals down from there.

For me, Seamistress works a little better with two m’s…

PRONOVIAS Dress arrived~be aware of sizes :: You & Your Wedding4 posts – 3 authors
I am taking it to the seam mistress tomorrow. My measurements have not changed and it was ordered exactly to the pronovias chart but it is big! ...
www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/community/f … read/64072 – Cached

In fact, it even looks like a legitimate word pair that way.

#4 2011-03-01 07:39:37

roonyjwelch

Lovely. “Seamsdress” is the more intriguing because it involves a real pun/crossover; “seammistress” is more genuinely related by the “ess” = feminine ending.

#5 2012-01-02 13:03:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Mooching through the list of 2011’s best eggcorns, most of which are entirely unfamiliar, I was particularly delighted to find this. Back in March 2007 I posted:

Once upon a time I worked in a nautical school; walls were bulkheads, toilets were heads, time was punctuated by bugles. It was an overwhelmingly male environment. The only female element was the seamstress – a lady who repaired uniforms with needle and thread but also doubled as matron, mother-substitute, emotional refuge etc. I suppose it must have been the proximity of the sea, the shared hallucination that we were aboard a ship, but no matter how I tried I couldn’t convince the boys that the seamstress was not the ‘sea-mistress’, and eventually I ceased the struggle and accepted their interpretation – it made more sense than mine. I have no citations, no corroborative evidence, I could google all night but it would be fruitless. There must be many such eggcorns, local, one-off, flesh-in-the-pan (191 ghits!) but their non-universal nature should not deter us from submitting them to the forum – someone, somewhere might be able to support and confirm usage?

What a difference a few years can make, for now someone, somewhere, has! Thanks, David.

#6 2012-01-02 13:44:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

Beautiful, Peter, thanks for posting that. How could I have missed your earlier post. I should know by now that nothing is farfetched enough to not have had a chance of passing by this forum at some time in the past. I echo the sentiments expressed in the earlier post about your style.

Board footer