Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-02-26 05:32:08

ampersand

android/aneroid

Lot No: 232
An oak android barometer fitted with thermometer

#2 2011-02-26 20:33:26

burred
Eggcornista

Re: android/aneroid

Nice addition, ampersand. Amusing confusion and one we’ll surely be seeing more of in the future. There are Android apps that can give you weather reports, and iPhones can apparently be used to measure wind speed from the rustle in the microphone. Wireless network relay speed can also provide a sensitive measurement of local air temperature. I suspect that the brass monkey idiom may soon give way to one involving loss of vital parts by iridium androids.

There is some potential for a typographical substitution of d for e, but a number of hits on the web show that this is clearly an “intentional” spelling. Another auction site repeats the android substitution several times. The only thing missing is the logic – I wonder if the users are really imagining something cybernetic or robotic about the devices. It’s fun to think so.

Last edited by burred (2011-02-26 20:34:21)

#3 2011-02-27 00:29:27

kem
Eggcornista

Re: android/aneroid

I knew the word “aneroid” before I head “android.” But only in the phrase “aneroid barometer.” You started me wondering-does “aneroid” (=liquidless) ever refer to anything besides a barometer? I found this in a COCA citations:

We routinely recommend what is, in fact, the simplest and cheapest device, known as an aneroid sphygmomanometer. This consists of a blood pressure cuff that goes around your arm, connected by a rubber tube to a dial that registers pressure. You also need a stethoscope.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer