Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-03-12 03:52:20

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"consoler" for "counselor"

From an application for a Mensa scholarship(!): “I marched into the consoler’s office…”. This one is apparently new to the Eggcorn Forum. I believe it may be an eggcorn, at least in some cases, because of the obvious similarity in meaning, while at the same time, the spelling of the two words isn’t similar enough to make this likely to be a simple misspelling (note that 3 changes would have to be made to render “counselor” as “consoler”).

Googling “camp consoler” yielded almost 300 unique hits, pretty much all of which looked like this eggcornish usage to me. Similarly, googling “school consoler” yields over 300 unique hits, the vast majority being similarly eggcornish.

Again, I do think this may be an eggcorn in some cases; my one source of doubt is that “consoler” and “counselor” aren’t pronounced all that similarly, what with the accent being on a different syllable, etc. With this in mind, maybe it’s more likely to be an actual eggcorn in cases wherein people are writing it without ever actually pronouncing it. Does that make sense? Could it be true of some eggcorns?

#2 2011-03-12 15:54:25

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "consoler" for "counselor"

Plausible.

I prefer eggcorns that are earcorns, but we have seen many eyecorns on this forum, and they have a legitimate claim to eggcorn status, I think.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer