Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-10-18 19:32:01

brians

Shoulder on

A determinedly pushy person can shoulder through a crowd. But someone who keeps doggedly going despite all obstacles (not just crowds) is “soldiering on.” Since “soldier” is rarely used as a verb in modern English, it’s not surprising that a lot of people think that the expressions is “shouldering on.”

There’s a detailed discussion of this one at http://trochee.livejournal.com/154006.html.

Paul Brians

#2 2009-10-18 21:29:48

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Shoulder on

This one looks awfully familiar. I know we’ve seen it in the Forum here at least once before:
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48
(One can Google soldier shoulder eggcorn)
It might have appeared before that one as well, but I didn’t check too closely.

#3 2009-10-19 02:51:45

patschwieterman
Administrator

Actually, both of these are the same post—Trochee cross-posted to both her livejournal account and the forum. It’s a good post, and it’s too bad we never heard from her again (though her blog was updated as recently as October 5th).

#4 2009-10-28 21:38:26

chrstnsln22
Website

It’s a nice post.. There’s something behind that post I could say.

Christine

#5 2009-10-29 00:31:36

patschwieterman
Administrator

Well, feel free—I’m listening, at any rate.

#6 2011-03-23 11:00:28

Wordworking
Website

I spotted a particularly apt “shoulders on” in a blog comment about First Lady Michelle Obama: “THIS IS MICHELLE. No other first family has been scrutinised like this one (not in my lifetime) but she shoulders on and it honestly looks as if the scrutiny is a blessing because I truly believe that it has made her a stronger and much more confident woman.” Mrs. Obama’s arms and shoulders have, indeed, been the subject of much admiring attention. Here’s the link to the post, which carries the redundant title “Evening Soiree”:
http://mrs-o.org/newdata/2011/3/23/evening-soiree.html

#7 2011-03-23 17:59:31

David Bird
Eggcornista

Shouldering on is an exquisite eggcorn. Not as good, but interesting in its own quiet, determined way, is sojourning on.

Amtrak plaint
From the conversations I’ve had with the crew during my various journeys, the majority of employees are sojourning on in spite of management!

Boudoir heartbreak
I didn’t know if Sonja and Daniel were together, or if she had been telling the truth, and despite her best intentions, Sonja had just been sojourning on in nothing more than unrequieted love.

Unrequieted love! I didn’t notice that until the forum spellchecker underpinked it. I’ll have to add it to Joe’s “unrequired love” post.

Board footer