Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-04-01 20:00:49

burred
Eggcornista

April Fish day googlenonces

Now that we are picking up eggcorns almost in the second they are laid, it gets harder to find the 1000 ghitters, and easier to just whet your whistle with a precious singleton. The following are some of the googlenonces I’ve encountered since last April 1. Some of them deserve more than the short shift they’re dressed in here, and they should be linked to their simblings on the forum, but just putting them in this list was enough for today.

Blog
It would seem that I have a penchant, borne out of fear, to browbeat, ridicule and manipulate others in order to walk away with a pyrite victory and its inevitable backwash: retrenchment in those on the other side of the argument.

Inspirational
Your life is no longer in your own hands, and your hands are tied. The devil’s millions have put you in jail

Diet forum
Massagegirl is crazy, she completely bomby!!!!!

regrets and ruemination

Mental health issues
... negative thinking… ruemination... low self esteem

Nature or nurture
How a person is nurtured really effects them and how they are with other people. My dad has a short refuse and bitches a lot about miniscule things, and I’ve inherited that from seeing him do it.

wanting very much to sing, but feeling parched. I’m sorry, but beer doesn’t slick my thirst
http://redvsblue.com/members/journal/en … id=2189036

campfire song
life of a voyager, that of a soldierner, travels around & round, but not from town to town

Internet sermon
When you shove aside, stub your nose, turn your back, and disobedient to God for so long, your heart becomes hardened.

I call the preceding as a blend of snub someone, turn up your nose, stick your nose in the air, and stub your toe.

Getting the game kill advice
Since virtually every FPS has a Doppler sound system, relying on standard desktop speakers can be confusing if you are seeking to judge the direction of flying bullets

Women gamers forum
please bitch about something important. If you do not like the ad, do not by the product..plain and simple! Let’s race a ruckus over things that really are important.

The next one might be advertent. Let’s hope so.

Fan fic
Just as soon as the pleasure came it was gone. This time it was replaced by the mind boogying pain.

Russian gamer
and by brood force I don’t mean 10 tanks vs 1, I mean good defence that allos you to keep attacking no matter the damage

Special categories The following was a deuce, but that’s like a double nonce.

fan fic
He said nothing as he felt a mass of headache come on.

Absence excuse
my head hurt and it made me have a mass of headache!!

Nother deuce

Student doctor forum
compared to what most people do in their 20s, med school is not a waste. not by a long shock.

This isn’t over; not by a long shock.
http://www.kryptonsite.com/forums/showt … 61&page=19

The next was a nonce – and only one hit, till now, although there are lots of “animometers”:

botany syllabus
Animophily – Animochory

Acorns: Pyrrhic victory, minions, balmy, rumination, fuse, slake, sojourner, Dolby, raise, boggling, brute, massive, chalk, anemometer, anemophily, anemochory.

Last edited by burred (2011-04-02 07:47:21)

#2 2011-04-01 20:57:01

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: April Fish day googlenonces

Wonderful! Simply wonderful! Thanks, Tocayo. I needed that today.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2011-04-02 12:02:10

David Bird
Eggcornista

Oh! I’m glad then. Here’s some more tonic. What doesn’t kill you…

The first Annie Lehmann is probably advertent.

Gun community
357 is a pistol calibre and 375 is kinda like a 38-55 on anna bollock steroids.

Two health symptom variants: not for the squirmish.

Health issues
that Change in Caliber of Stools, Crampy Abdominal Pain, and Hematocheesia I’ve had for the past 6 months

Am. J. Digestive Dis. Nutr.
Various reports have described pain 1 to 3 hours after eating, nausea, vomiting, distension, barbarygmus relieved by change in position, melena, constipation

There are now three new hits for the next one (the original nonce hit is now gone). They usually refer to ways to damage someone in a game.

Game development
fighters who react to damage more realisticly (Fall to the ground sucking wind when taking a hit to the solar plexus, or become temporarily knocked-out when hit in the breakial artery)

A booth may be a place where you encounter boosterism from the sales staff.

Study abroad blurb
In any case, the Garden of Unearthly Delights is definitely worth a visit. Take your pick from the multiple performances held in the many boosts and tents,

School reminiscence
i didn’t have any butt to shake but i remember i was in the calistennis class

snippet from a site which is now gone”: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=we … 6p8SqDJ14Q
No power lifting no callousthenics...nothing for a year. I didn’t take that very well….I was already past my drug stage so luckily I didn’t go back

Intercultural differences
if the president of the united states wants to send a shaneystar a court someones for saying something libel on a answerbank thread then i think he and u suffer from dementia of the highest order!!

Visit to Scotland
I saw a dovecourt, where people living in castles would keep pigeons and other birds to eat in the winter time.

Wrestling board snippet
Although its being half assered about the situation, people could post 1 rp for both shows in the same thread if they wish too

Truck repair advice
Now let’s hatch this out.

The religion of George Bush
He is big on the 7 mortal sins, especially sloth havarice arrogance. I can’t see how the religious right would pick such a broken bucket to carry their torch.

I can’t vouch for the next one; too good to be true.

Author’s comments, online fiction
Thanx, I am still recovering from the after effects of writing such material. (exhaustion, inzombnia, severe headache,hot flashes)LOL.

Incitement to tourism
There is a popery of galleries, museums, theaters and restaurants in our Cultural District. Indulge your senses and take it all in.

Philosophy listserv
Now, I use that that paragonic paradigm of words—to wit, “object”, “objective”, “objectivity”—slightly different than most folks ouside the craft of lensmaking, relating them all to their founder, the Greek “pragma”, if not to its Sandsgrit ancestors

Those Canadians and their hockey:

Integration of immigrants
Canadians want to accomodate realistic accomodations, and this conversation is to help to integrate them, and not stickmatize them to ghettos, whereby they will replete upon themselves.

Googledeuce:

The origin of Trance
most of us know that many artist during the late 1980s and early 1990s were at the state of Goa were practicing in music drugs mentitation and other stuff

Blog
was thinking of doing some mentitation, (I admire people who is ability and used to do it), but I don’t know how to do it,so I started calligraphy

Acorns: anabolic, hematochezia, borborygmus, brachial, booth, calisthenics, summons, dovecote, haphazard, hash, avarice, potpourri, Sanskrit, stigmatize, meditation.

#4 2011-04-02 19:18:13

kem
Eggcornista

Some of those are four-barrel funny, David. I especially like “not by a long shock.”

“Not by a long shot” is ambiguous, isn’t it? “Long shot” can have two meanings: a long ways or a risky venture. In “not by a long shot,” the first meaning must be at work. But if you hear in the phrase “not by a long shot” the second meaning of “long shot,” the risky venture, the full idiom seems to mean the opposite of what it really does. Anyway, “long shock” is so much more vivid.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2011-04-03 12:38:00

burred
Eggcornista

Why yes, I should have thought that “a long shock” was more probably related to a shot than to chalk. I used the N-gram to find that these phrases appeared more or less together, but that chalk is on the way out, not surprisingly. “Not by a long whiteboard marker” doesn’t cut it.

It’s also true that there is something doubly negative about “not by a long shot”. I think you’ve properly nailed that too. It looks as though the long shot in the latter might be similar to the meaning of “a long chalk”, as in a significant advance or a large separation. It seems likely that there was cross-chatter at some point between the two expressions.

Later: The n-gram is my new favourite toy. It suggests that “a long chalk” was spawned from “a long shot”, somewhere in the 1830s. Both American and British sources favour “a long shot”, but only British books prefer “not by a long chalk” over “not by a long shot”.

Last edited by burred (2011-04-03 13:21:26)

#6 2011-04-17 04:38:21

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David, these are some of the best I’ve ever seen! “A short refuse”, “ruemination”, “bomby”, “pyrite victory”, “mass of headache”—stop, you’re killin’ me! LMFAO!!!

Board footer