Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-12 12:50:21

jorkel
Eggcornista

OWNUS (onus)

Google counts on Sept 12, 2006
7,460,000 onus
1890 ownus
Analysis by Joe Krozel

An “onus” is a burden, obligation, etc. The eggcorn “ownus” or “own us” conjures up the notion of the burden created by an external power that would “own us.” (Think of the folk notion of being owned by the company store). The other notion in play here is in regard to “owning” the responsibility to something. Perhaps it even leans toward the construction “own -ous.”

Examples:

CAMBRIDGE AREA POOL LEAGUE WEB SITEEven if you lose a match 8-1 and have only one singles winner then the ownus is on YOU the captain to email that winners so that we can add the information …
homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.greenley/pool/hotshots.htm – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

Gothamist: Darryl Strawberry’s One Man Show and Other Comedy This Weekyes but the ownus is on you the “journalist” not to make us do the work. If Time magazine writes an article about a movie being made by warner brothers it …
www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/05/25/d … s_week.php – 59k – Cached – Similar pages

KAET: HORIZON: public affairs program: transcripts: December 10, 2004… was disgruntled h disciplinary problems, tried to put the own us on him, in fact it wasn’t his fault. I think the parents sued the federal government. ...
www.kaet.asu.edu/horizon/transcripts/20 … 0_2004.htm – 40k – Cached – Similar pages

KAET: HORIZON: public affairs program: transcripts: May 20, 2004… and they were more concerned about getting a budget out of their side of the legislature so that they could put the burden and the own us on the house. ...
www.kaet.asu.edu/horizon/transcripts/20 … 0_2004.htm – 45k – Cached – Similar pages

Disaster Preparation for People with Disabilities Webcast—May 7 …Laurel: Again, then, the own us is on ourselves, isn’t it, this terms of looking out for ourselves? >> June: Is. >> Laurel: June, my watch is a tuned to the …
www.ilru.org/html/training/webcasts/han … BCAS11.TXT – 68k – Cached – Similar pages

Recreation Access: Research to Practice. Presenters: Ray Bloomer …... but one of the issues with it being installed temporary is it puts the own us on the person with the disability that needs it to ask for it and what do …
www.ilru.org/html/training/webcasts/han … script.txt – 76k – Cached – Similar pages

Airsoft Canada – FpsAs for ownus . . . . . . everyone who picks up a gun , upgraded or not has the ownus to be responsible with it and use it in a safe manner . ...
www.airsoftcanada.com/printthread.php?t … ge=3&pp=15 – 28k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Completely true and then some… – Reader Comments – CMO MagazineThe one challenge, and something I would like to see addressed in future discussions, is how to spread the ownus of selling/marketing across the enterprise. ...
www.cmomagazine.com/comment_view.html?ID=44 – 16k – Cached – Similar pages

RevolutionaryLeft.com > Actual Numbersthe ownus is on the human, killing other humans for being evil do’ers is … however the ownus should be on the believer to proove its existance not the non …
www.revolutionaryleft.com/lofiversion/i … 29964.html – 22k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

VUL :: Forum :: Rules ForumWho has the ownus to let up on what is concievably a dangerous play? My gut reason for calling the foul is that this is a non-contact sport, and that was a …
www.vul.bc.ca/v3/forum/forum_message_di … sageID=883 – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

The infamous $275 Sugar Bowl tickets [Archive] – TigerForums.com …But by law its the ownus of the Credit Card to check signatures etc etc. (Like the Bank passing a check that was stolen) its the banks problem for allowing …
www.tigerforums.com/archive/index.php/t-13505.html – 7k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-12 12:54:56)

#2 2011-04-06 21:50:05

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: OWNUS (onus)

Antireligion website
I hate that line of agument that the female caller tried to use, the ‘leap of faith’, once again it shows how allot of religious people think that its on the atheists to disprove God, when really the own is on them.

Same idea, different analysis of onus.

#3 2011-04-07 04:35:30

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: OWNUS (onus)

I can add

you finally accepts the fate that you were holding on to something that didn ‘t want to be held on to in the first place, so the owners is on YOU

THE OWNERS IS ON YOU TO EDUCATE POTENTIAL DONORS ABOUT YOUR CANDIDATE AND TO CAMPAIGN

Anyway, as long as it been advised to the couple, the owners is on them not the cameraman or editors

God always is patient to allow us to repent but the owners is on us

The semantics are clear -ish

“Onus” is remarkably productive. I see that ownerous has been done before but in all the various “onus” threads I don’t recall “owners”

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2011-04-07 04:37:47)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer