Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-07 23:22:05

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

STEAK MY CLAM = Another imaginary eggcorn

Know/Zorro/Knotta Google hits. Another imaginary eggcorn? A great name for a Surf n Turf restaurant? Are you guys interested in imaginary eggcorns? If not, please let me know. (But I can’t stop! Help! )

#2 2006-09-08 00:02:44

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: STEAK MY CLAM = Another imaginary eggcorn

Related, but not an eggcorn:
I found 68 Google hits for SERF AND TURF (a good name for a sod farm in Siberia). Most of them were misspellings. Several of them were intentional eggcorns related to growing one’s own pot with one’sown horses providing the fertilizer. Ride on!

And that is another: There is a well-known, well-loved Palm Sunday hymn entitled “Ride On.” The title refers to Jesus riding into Jerusalem on a donkey. Here’s the language joke:

At some time in the late 1960’s, my smart-ass brother and my smart-ass self went to church on Palm Sunday with our beloved grandparents. My brother and I were a couple of little hipsters from hipper-than-thou Ann Arbor, Michigan. Anyway, in church that day, they did a big production number of that hymn, “Ride On.”

And my brother and I could not keep from laughing, and we could not stop laughing, because it sounded as if the whole choir and the whole respectable congregation were singing, “Right On!”

In case you do not know,”Right On!” was what radical 1960’s revolutionary types (people who were NOT in church that day) used to say. It was what they used to say to each other, with raised, clenched fists, when they smoked dope together and talked about The Revolution, brother, sister, Right On!

Board footer