Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-05-22 04:08:50

burred
Eggcornista

"clothes whore" for "clothes horse"

A clothes horse, or clothes mule, was first a rack to dry clothes on, from the late 18th c., and then also a person excessively interested in clothes and fashion, from the mid 19th on. A recent eggcorn based on the second definition are the clothes whores, with the same meaning by a completely different route.

We won’t be running full-page ads in Spin, or parading around like rock star clothes whores, but you will see something musical, emotional, fucking real.
http://www.myspace.com/swordofexactly

The extension of “fashion plate” to mean a person who takes great pains to always wear the latest fashions was natural (“You look just like a fashion plate!”), but the term has come to carry a connotation of superficiality and perhaps a implication of desperation in the “plate’s” attention to the latest designer gear. A few years ago, a reader asked me whether a similar phrase for someone obsessed with couture was “clothes horse” or, as she believed, “clothes whore.” It’s “clothes horse” (originally a wooden rack for drying clothes), but we agreed that “clothes whore” was probably more to the point and a lot more fun.
+Word detective, March 28, 2011

Barbie and Ken are hilarious, and for me they were the highlight of the film. When the two clothes whores meet, it’s kismet.
http://frothygirlz.com/2010/06/18/movie … y-story-3/

#2 2011-05-22 11:03:34

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: "clothes whore" for "clothes horse"

From the Wikipedia entry on “Media Whores Online”

The nickname The Horse derived from recurring errors in transcripts of TV programs which mentioned the site; the transcripts called it “Media Horse Online.”

Board footer