Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-05-22 11:19:02

kem
Eggcornista

sensor << censor

The database had an early entry for “sensor >> censor.” This error, at least in recent decades, runs uphill, a less common word replacing a more common word. The web provides ample evidence that people often ride this eggcorn down the hill, replacing “censor” with “senser/sensor.”

Here are some samples of verb replacements:

Jamaican forum: “One of the words in my post above got sensered out”

Sky diving forum: “It reminds me of when I was in Viet Nam and my leters were sensered.”

Sports forum: “. Everyone needs to reflect a few years back when what came out of Callahans mouth had to be sensered !”

And some noun/adjective replacements:

Indonesian online new forum: “Vice-President Jusuf Kalla has stressed that the Movie Sensor Board is still needed.”

Comment on online newspaper article: “That chapter has all the words that the movie sensor board wouldn’t allow it to be said in a movie.”

Quotation in an article about Bangladesh:”: “So, the film sensor board should demonstrate such generosity so that our films can survive”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2013-05-15 16:26:27

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: sensor << censor

Some other examples:

Here’s a letter from April. I didn’t sensor it, but I’ll warn you, the website she refers to has some college bathroom humor to it.

The ad below is written for public, non-sensored use

It felt wonderful to just be open and free and not have to constantly sensor my words for fear of having said too much in front of the wrong person.

It makes cense enough; when you have to sensor your words you have to sense whether they are appropriate for the particular situation, and halt them if they are not.
I have other examples where censer gets in there either as a meaning or as the spelling with another meaning (CENSOR or SENSOR), but don’t see any eggcornation going on in them.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-05-15 16:27:20)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer