Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-06-07 17:59:20

kem
Eggcornista

defind << define

Oodles of pages on the web with “defind” for “define.” In some cases it could be a typo (Letters “e” and “d” are typed with the same finger by QWERTY touch typists.) but in other cases the user could be replacing the opaque “fine” (from L. finire ) with the more accessible “find.”

Blog entry: “Thanks alot for the comforting, now I can defind the word ‘true friends’. ”

Poker forum post: “This is basically what I have done with the popups, you can defind as many of those as you want and tie them to different stats”

Software forum: “go to ‘Personalization’ tab and there also you can defind the values for Approval limit and Spending Limit.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2011-06-08 14:59:34

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: defind << define

In the examples you’ve given, there does seem to be a blending with search or discovery. This is one is Beadwof again, na? It’s also got that “completely” de- that is so 1400s.

At least some see the link to limitation in definition:

What is your definishing of “Attractive”? Are you looking for a Christian Miss Universe?
Abstinence and dating

I guess your definishing of whinging is different to mine.
forum

G0SLQ [a radio call sign] right 10 and 6 metre bands fall in that magic aria between HF and VHF. its worth bearing in mind that the definishing of HF and VHF are man made and nature has its own idears about things.
UK ham forum

Ah, that magic aria that’s playing in the ether!

Last edited by David Bird (2011-06-08 15:07:10)

Board footer