Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-06-16 08:25:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

"abrade" for upbraid

While braid only survives in the form of “weave, intertwine”, its O.E. origins in breakdance bregdan were wider, including to move quickly, pull, shake, draw a sword. Upbraid means to dress down, to scold; the ngram shows the use of the word upbraiding to be in a long slow decline since the end of the 17th c. The following may be instances of eggcornical echoes, as in being abrasive, or tearing a strip off someone.

1945 circus competition
Again our agent was abraded for letting them beat us to the town.

Reagan and Gorbachev
However, as he stubbornly clung to his campaign against the USSR and all of its strongholds, the international realm began to abrade him for his insensitive actions against a helpless people. After the Grenada attack, the United Nations reproved his actions

Are we there yet?
Vegeta breathed in deeply, then out, counting to twenty. “That’s the tenth time you’ve asked that… in the last fifteen minutes!” Nappa lowered his head, and mumbled “Sorry…” Vegeta left off abrading him for the moment. “I’ll tell you when we’re nearly there!”

It can also make the round trip, with a dash of far upfield. This is an interesting blend.

Accustomed to regard Adam’s sin in the garden of Eden as the origin of “death and all our woes,” some crouch and make merit of confessions and self-upbrasion on account of the imputation of Adam’s sin
Southern Methodist Review, 1849

Last edited by David Bird (2011-06-16 11:49:34)

#2 2023-09-06 06:49:22

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "abrade" for upbraid

A few more (or less closely related ones):

to abraid him with a cruelty and then they would proceed to [a charge of] murder

= accuse of? reprimand for?

God freely gives knowledge and wisdom to who ever asks, or seeks him for it, and he doesn’t abraid you for it [James 1:5], that means hewon’t exclude you, ...

There will be others to abraid you for leaving and not remaining “faithful”.

Well unfortunately it is for wizards or I would really have to abraid you for not picking Granny Weatherwax.

Abraid can also be used for abrade , probably a fairly pure misspelling:

Find the best selection of Topshop straight leg jeans with abraided hem in bleach wash.

Wind-abraided stones and trilobite fossil. The stones have been smoothed by wind erosion.

To the extent that braiding is introducing complexity of clearly distinct strands, abraiding could be an opposite, with a negative a- prefix, I suppose.
Some echoes of keeping (or even holding) a breast of the situation. (Would that be a good, or even a possible, way to keep your finger on the pulse, would you think?) [The whole discussion at http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=3651 is relevant]

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-09-22 01:09:32)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2023-09-06 13:56:57

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Can we have been missing the raiding aspect all this time, whether up-raiding or down-raiding? Those who have been up-raided may feel they have been raided from above, rather than below?

He was home very little, and when he came home, he was usually in iII-humor, upraiding his poor daughter rather than comforting her.

Oscar Wilde is hilarious in his upraiding of the Brittish middle and upper class, but I don’t think his works would have gone over as well with an American …

Afterwards He appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart because they believed not them which …

Hopkins’ interest in music loomed so large that Bridges upraided him for it and Hopkins defended it.

#4 2023-10-20 20:10:18

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

The up- could be understood not as the direction the violence comes from but rather the direction it goes (to). It feels somewhat more natural to me (though I am not at all sure that this would be how others would construe it) that if someone upraids me I feel ripped up from below rather than struck down from above.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-10-23 11:13:04)

#5 2023-10-23 11:11:53

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Fwiw:

bronze may be soft, but your dirty bronze brush likely picked up very upbrasive compounds that ruined the finish. Use Ballistol, a soft rag, and …

I know at times I can come off a little bit upbrasive toward Mr Smith, I think he’s a fair quarterback no doubt about that! But this post is …

#6 2023-10-23 12:52:56

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Not clear what uprasive means in the few examples, but it might be “abrasive”.

We will come out with full force. Gambia for Gambians. #NO to uprasive and Dictatorship laws.

?Sneha Dia Uprasive – Manufacturer of Semi Precious Gemstone, Hessonite Garnet & Garnet Rose Cut Stones from Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh, India.

No clear hits for upraisive meaning “abrasive”, as far as I could tell. Investments that will raise your status or economic position, perhaps?

UPRAISIVE INVESTMENTS PRIVATE LIMITED. ROC-MUMBAI, Flat No 1301 Wing B Ridhi Sidhi Heights Yashwant Nagar Road Goregaon West MUMBAI Mumbai City MH 400104 IN.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-10-23 13:19:52)

#7 2023-10-28 04:13:36

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

The up- could be understood not as the direction the violence comes from but rather the direction it goes (to). It feels somewhat more natural to me (though I am not at all sure that this would be how others would construe it) that if someone upraids me I feel ripped up from below rather than struck down from above.

Yes, I agree. And sticking with violence for the moment I’ve always felt that, spelling aside, bray was the real kernel of abraid.

From Middle English brayen (“to break or crush into pieces”), from Anglo-Norman breier, Old French breie, breier, broiier (modern French broyer (“to crush, grind”)), possibly from Frankish *brekan (“to break”), from Proto-Germanic *brekan? (“to break”), from Proto-Indo-European *b?reg- (“to break”); thus making the English word a doublet of break.
Verb
bray (third-person singular simple present brays, present participle braying, simple past and past participle brayed)
(transitive, archaic) To crush or pound, especially using a pestle and mortar.
(transitive, Britain, chiefly Yorkshire, by extension) To hit (someone or something).

As a child I was keen to avoid getting brayed, having my hide tanned or getting thrashed/threshed, bashed, pulverised or ploated. Not much has changed.

When used as a threat another lad would say,”im gonna bray you” after the event you had been “brayed up”during the event you may get an excited lad knock at your families door and say ” come quick a big lads braying your johnny” often the word bray,or brayed could be swapped for belt,or belted,either with an “up”at the end or not,im thinking the “bray or brayed”must come from a blacksmith,and “belt and belted” must come from father taking his belt off.

To the ladies and their supporters, sirs;. For Monopoly’s rights let us a’ fecht or fa’,. Or be brayed up small in oor mortars, sirs! ...

... he then upbrayed them , with many bitter reproaches , for their lewd deportment , and especially for their lack of charity …

But you nowe have upbrayed me w th yt, I trust you have yo r peniworthes and are satisfied ,...

Board footer