Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-06-24 22:01:53

burred
Eggcornista

Feverently

I ran into this chimera today on youtube. Fervor and fever, despite appearances, are not related, deriving as they do from separate PIE bases. Fervor is effervescence, from L. a boiling, violent heat; passion, ardor, fury; while fever is, well, heat, too; not Mediterranean heat, but heat that came through the PIE base * dhegh- ‘burn’, which gave us Goth. dags, O.E. dæg ‘day,’ originally ‘the heat’. “Feverently” looks like a blend of fervently and feverishly.

Militant atheism
If you were born elsewhere, you would believe the Koran as feverently as you believe in the Bible.

Yahoo Questions first person account: How do you spell feverently?
Thanks all. I thought it was spelled feverently, with the base word “fever”, but it’s apparently fervently- you would think that one of these fancy spellcheckers could give me a spelling correction that wasn’t “reverently”.
Response: Ferverently.

Fondly Do We Hope…Feverently We Do Pray
http://www.washingtonian.com/events/8675.html

Evolution argument
I still don’t understand why so called “intellectuals” are so feverently trying to tie ourselves to a lower life form.

Last edited by burred (2011-06-24 22:03:00)

Board footer