Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-07-12 15:29:15

kem
Eggcornista

truth << truce

“Truce” and “truth” sound a bit alike, especially when uttered by speakers with sibilant issues. A truce is a pact that depends on acting in a truthful way, so “truth” can replace the less common “truce,” as we see in the examples below.

“Truce” and “truth” have been separate words since Middle English. “Truce” derives from an older, plural form of “true.” To make a truce was to give someone your “trues,” to exchange pledges.

Examples:

Blog entry: “But I think you’re dead on with your declaration of an uneasy truth between the two halves, as it were, of Anonymous.”

Political forum: “The Clinton brand was forged on the basis of an uneasy truth between the center-left and the center-right.”

Description of role play character: “After a month, a truth between the two was made.”

Manga blog: “Meanwhile in the Torino Kingdom, Chopper has negotiated a truth between the human tribe and giant birds.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2011-07-12 17:25:31

burred
Eggcornista

Re: truth << truce

Interesting. Truth for truce is out there, in more than one sense. I liked the etymology, I would never have guessed. I’d have picked truss before truth; that must be age.

Th can be pronounced as ss or as z, recapturing the entente as a trues between. There are 10 of those. And two or one* people from the UK want to make a trousse with rust on their car.

* Dialect lovers who are unfamiliar with Justin Wilson will surely enjoy his gumbo.

Board footer