Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-08-03 14:29:16

kem
Eggcornista

dropping centre << drop in centre

I came across “dropping centre” today. I checked the phrase on the web. There are a few dropping centres where you really do drop off something (kids, donations), but in most cases “dropping centre” serves as a replacement for “drop in centre.”

An eggcorn, perhaps? A dropping centre can be a place where you drop off your troubles.

Examples:

Blog post: “Why the Controversy Over County Dropping Center for Disability Rights? Monroe County engages certain agencies, including the Center for Disability Rights, to provide specified services for people with disabilities.”

News report on Ethiopian orphanage site: “The older kids from both the inner city dropping center, and the country side Suluta orphanage, were taken about 45 km out of town into the country for a field trip.”

Zambian church-related site: “To have a dropping center for widows and widowers, men, women, orphans and vulnerable children.”

Muslim forum: “Setting up like a dropping centre @ local masjid, for anyone that needs help ”

For another kind of dropping centre, see http://www.metacafe.com/watch/750117/so … ng_injury/

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2011-08-06 10:53:22

burred
Eggcornista

Re: dropping centre << drop in centre

I like it. It would be almost invisible in use. An easy natural.

Board footer