Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-02-21 13:55:16

JonW719
Eggcornista

For sell vs. for sale

I think this one has sort of been covered here but perhaps does not exist as its own topic.

I like to check out Craigslist for various items, and I often see postings of items that are “for sell.” A Google search brings up quite a few uses of this term:

Sell Business,Businesses for Sale,Buy Business,Sale Business …Sell a Business or Buy a Business or Search Businesses For Sale with Sunbelt Business Brokers. Sold more than 4000 Businesses for Sell in 2006. ...
www.sunbeltne.com/ – 47k – Cached – Similar pages

Sell Home by Owner :: Michigan Homes For Sale by Owner OnlineCurrent Michigan homes for sell by owner listings include: Battle Creek, Detroit, Farmington Hills, Fenton, Garden, Grant Township, Linden, Mears, ...
www.michiganhomesfsbo.com/ – 23k – Cached – Similar pages

Sell Your Hair, Hair Classifieds, Buy human hairIt is for sell now, and I want, no less than $450 US starting bid. Thank you for your attention, and bid with confidence. ...
www.hairwork.com/bidhere.htm – 104k – Cached – Similar pages

Searches related to: “for sell”used cars for sell horses for sell puppies for sell guns for sell
pitbulls for sell motorcycles for sell monkeys for sell classic cars for sell

I don’t for a minute believe this is an eggcorn, and it must largely result from similar regional pronunciations of the two words. What is interesting to me is that I couldn’t find any instances of “on sell” (i.e. Broccoli is on sell this week).

I also found a Craigslist posting for a china set with the headline “Moving, have to sale.” So the reshaping works both ways. (This construction is a harder one to pinpoint on Google but I did find some other examples on Craigslist.)

v6 4.0 4 wheel drive, power everything. its a automatic and has the red bead lockers. not going to lie needs some TLC and a little work done but its a great jeep. and would be a great first time jeep. need to sale soon. 4,000 call or email me at 970-545-9642 or 301-4579 if no one answers just leave a message and we will get back to you…. or email

Anyone who called last week about these items, please call back. We are back home now & anxious to sale.

I am moving and need to sale the following.
2007// 250 Suzuki Ozark “Model Lt-F250K7 “VERY LOW Hrs” 3,300 OBO
2006// ETON Viper 90 “Also LOW Hrs” Yello and Black $1400 OBO
2006// Silver FOX Trailer $1200 OBO (All Metal, Folding rear ramp) Both 4 wheelers must go before or with the trailer…

I have lots of cd to sale
3.00-7.00 ea

custom made 15” saddle. excellent shape rawhide tree sheepskin underside barely used. have to sale no room no horse!!

Moving and need to sale... great condition Yahama dirtbike. With highlight and tail light. Jetted for high altitude and only 710 miles!

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-02-21 14:07:37)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2011-08-14 02:47:05

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: For sell vs. for sale

Spotted tonight on an Internet bulletin board: “ForSale: Moving sell”. Interesting that “sale” is used properly in the phrase “for sale”, but then immediately thereafter transmogrified into “sell” in the phrase “moving sell”. “Sell” here is not likely to be just a misspelling, either, as going from “sale” to “sell” by misspelling requires getting every letter but one wrong. The “ForSale” part is actually programmed into the bulletin board and is selected by hitting a button, so the poster didn’t write that one out, but you’d think he/she would have at least thought twice about typing “sell’ immediately thereafter. Maybe an “English as a second language” issue.

Board footer