Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-08-20 13:17:14

kem
Eggcornista

dock << doc, duck

The verb “dock,” meaning to lop off/curtail/withhold, has deep Teutonic roots. Chaucer and Wycliffe both employed it. The word has seen a steady decline, however, over the last century. Where it still occurs, it seems to restrict itself to actions taken on (1) animal tails or (2) earned wages. One suspects that if there were not two objects on which it acted, the verb “dock” might already have slipped into the oblivion of idiomatic opacity.

“Dock” is already near enough to semantic darkness to generate spontaneous substitutions. A popular one is “doc.” On thousands of web pages we hear about “doc the pay” and “doc the tail.” This is probably just a misspelling, especially since “doc,” the nickname for “doctor,” is a noun, not a verb – though one could imagine the speaker thinking about verbalized surgeons doing some serious trimming of their patient’s limbs and lucre.

A less common substitution, but a more believable eggcorn, is the replacement of “dock” by “duck.” “To duck” is to bend/immerse/escape. The employer who docks an employee’s pay ducks his/her contracted responsibility.

Examples of “duck” for “dock.”

Movie discussion on a reading site: “Picard better kick Data’s ass and duck his pay when this is over!”

Cannabis discussion site: “dude my boss busted me smokin a jay and fukin ducked my pay for the week ”

European media review site: “That is, if you want to duck my pay by 100 euros, you pay me 100 euros a month in shares of the company. ”

Blog from Oman: “If their till doesn’t balance and it gets ducked out of their pay then they better get better at their jobs because one day the supermarket’s management will change and they’ll stop being so lenient with them.”

Soap opera synopsis: “Julian replies that he does not like to come to this side of the track but he was thinking about Pilar and how they would have to duck her pay on the days that she will not come to work but go to see her son in prison.”

Trivia challenge: Is

Duck duck duck duck duck.

(a) a children’s game or
(b) a legitimate English sentence?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2011-08-20 14:08:19

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: dock << doc, duck

I think the children’s game, from before my time, was Duck duck goose, so I’m going to go for (b). Is it something legitimate used without punctuation in the trenches?

#3 2011-08-20 14:50:09

kem
Eggcornista

A comma, perhaps.

#4 2011-08-20 15:02:58

David Bird
Eggcornista

How about “Avoid duck-on-duck immersion”? (Verb1-noun1-verb2-noun1-noun2).
Or is it a gentle reminder, by example: Get your ducks in a row.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-08-21 07:28:45)

#5 2011-08-23 14:05:47

kem
Eggcornista

Duck duck duck duck duck.

Probably many ways to map this onto a grammatical sentence. Here’s one:

Duck – the lesser-used plural of the swimming/diving/dabbling bird (“Several duck are in the pond”).

duck – plural verb meaning to avoid (“The kids duck their chores whenever they can”)

duck – familiar name for an odd character (“Where’s the old duck when you need him.”) turned into a nominal adjective

duck – noun referring to an immersion (“The wily fellow avoided the attempted duck”)

duck. – like “ducky,” a slang term used to express affection (“Wassup, duck”)

Thus: “The swimming birds avoided the immersion of the chap, matey.”

Board footer