Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-08-22 06:42:30

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

A new Lo

I don’t think this has been spotted before:

‘Lo and behind, we went out and gathered these eggs. We had to do a double take. We both looked with our mouths open for about five minutes

But lo and behind, we somehow managed to one shot every boss in BWD, save for Nef. XD

I uninstalled the 64-bit JDK, installed the 32-bit version and lo and behind, the Android SDK is now on my machine.

Semantics? Maybe, that ‘behind’ means something like ‘ripping away the superficial appearance’.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2011-08-22 12:01:36

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: A new Lo

I guess low and behind is about as far away from the face of things as possible.

I reached down to grab my water bottle and take a drink and low and behind this guy decides to make a very sharp left turn without looking.

I don’t remember which of these have been discussed here, but my list of attested forms includes

lo to my surprise
lone behold
below and hold
low and behold
long and behold
alas and behold
lo and behold did I realize

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2011-08-22 12:15:17)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2011-08-25 14:42:33

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: A new Lo

Well, add these to your collection:

This week I was in Tractor Supply on North Commerce in Ardmore and low and below, there was a train set on the clearance rack

Yesterday i’m bored and looking at different sites and hers comes up and low and below has changed her template to my one.

goes to him for a place to stay and, low and below, hanna is there too

I can’t believe it’s not been posted before. I can’t find it if it has.

There are dozens of good examples on the 14 pages of ghits for exact phrase “and low and below”. The semantics are soundish: “under the surface and even more so”.

Lo and belo, somebody visited there and exited by the link to Dreamstime.

and many more. Semantics? Not that I can see.

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2011-08-25 14:51:34)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer