Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-08-24 17:01:06

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Tent Amount To

We are presented with repeated slaps to the face that is tent amount to being knocked out with a strong right hook

3 of the Contempt of Courts Act, 1952, as their action was tent amount to interfering with his legal rights to seek redress in a court of law

yet minimum wage abolition is tent amount to slavery

The semantics are hard to see, unless it’s like a ball-park figure. There’s something about “tent amount” that works but I can’t put my finger on it.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2011-08-24 21:51:52

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Tent Amount To

Tent amount makes more sense than tantamount if you don’t speak Norman. Maybe also a connection to “testament”? See Dadge, and

Historically Appleby was one of the largest and wealthiest Parishes in Leicestershire, which the size of church is test-amount to.
Travel blurb

you continue to slander Anwar Awlaki, a man whose prison sentence alone is test amount to the fact that he has done far more
“Religio-political doctrine forum” that was not possible to link to

Being that steadfast in your Sony love is test-amount to being close minded
“Gamers” but also impossible to link to

It is test amount to such a state of the world that such corruption can happen against the people, again, this is simply people giving into their manifestationof instinct.I believe it is these small grey beings that can read my mind, and work with both the illuminati
Crazy ravings

This is not far off. If X is “tenement to” evil Y, X must be the seedy place where Y can flower.

They can want for nothing and envy nothing. To stop at anything is tenement to child abuse.
Keep children away from video games

Attempting such a feat on the weekends is tenement to suicide
Motorbike forum

I know they mean well, but to deny a child such pleasure is tenement to blasphemy in my book!
Book banning comment

Tenement as sorry testament.

The fact that such an inarticulate incompetent fool is able to survive in public life is tenement to the quality of interviewers we have in N.I.
Northern Ireland blog

Bar Monsta’s metallers did not last there long, and new management has taken over yet again. The above sign on the window of the entrance is tenement to their policy.
Club evolution

Last edited by burred (2011-08-24 22:52:36)

#3 2011-08-25 01:40:02

patschwieterman
Administrator

You guys inspired me to go looking for tantamount>>catamount, though I wasn’t expecting much. Wrong – there are dozens. Sure, some are jokes, but a surprising number look authentic. I think this is purely malapropic. Examples:

For many, the thought of leaving their dog in the care of even the most professionally run kennel or boarding facility is catamount to leaving a child in an orphanage while the parent goes on a fun-filled vacation.
http://www.divorce360.com/divorce-artic … ?artid=440

This jump start of sales is catamount to having a hit on your hands.
http://www.writeandpublishnow.com/promo … _book.html

(Apparently to First Graders reading a Junie B book is catamount to pure genius.)
http://www.kellyology.net/2010/08/on-te … ifted.html

#4 2011-08-25 16:11:39

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Cataphorically amazing.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2011-08-29 18:12:21

fpberger
Eggcornista

Board footer