Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-02 17:41:56

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Shoulder to Soldier

And I fully endorse the rationale that if you are old enough to soldier arms for your country you are old enough to drink

40 Brown’s band soldiered arms and marched out of camp on October 16, the day after Meriam’s arrival

Apparently one of them soldiered arms, lost their castle and had to do an about face and a quick march back to the pavilion.

The color sergeant is a position of honor and will be set aside for the most qualified enlisted man capable of soldiering arms.

and then there’s this

It’s not clear whether the applicant soldiered arms on some of the other documents in dispute or the agency conceded,

which I don’t really understand. I think it means “admitted defeat”.

But a pretty little eggcorn, all the usual caveats such as spell-checks and it having been spotted before notwithstanding.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2011-09-03 11:42:02

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Shoulder to Soldier

Pretty indeed, a veritable ovum ovorum and a rountripper for one of the earliest posts on the Forum.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer