Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-15 04:10:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Misc.

We’ve mentioned a few times how some people are goal minds for reshapings. A correspondent reported the following which he’d managed to jot down before he forgot them, from a relative during a 4-day visit. He assures me there were more which he noted but wasn’t able to write down in time to remember them.

It’s just hard to famine…

I’m fine with the roof upholstery. It was just thrown up there apropo, but I’m fine with it.

He flew in on one of those little belly choppers [small jet planes, = puddlehoppers].

His father’s just like him: he has to have a full-course meal for breakfast; a FULL-course meal!

AH: Do you know what a plontoon boat is? Me: A pontoon boat? AH: Yes. …. (A few seconds later:) He took his plontoon boat and put a sail on it!

You look at your church, you look at your elders: could you even phantom them [doing such a thing]?

(The first and last ones make a nice pair.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2011-09-15 04:10:47)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2011-09-15 08:16:28

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Misc.

Wondrous. If that’s the 4-day yield, his lifetime yield is hard to famine. My favorite is plontoon, couldn’t say why, just hits the funny bone.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-09-15 08:47:54)

#3 2011-09-15 10:43:55

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I envy your friend’s having such a productive relative. I did have a girlfriend with a similar linguistic “talent” once, but her sayings were usually not quite so amusing, nor was she that prolific.

#4 2011-09-15 13:18:16

patschwieterman
Administrator

Wow. I have one acquaintance who has provided me with around ten posts over about half as many years, but that doesn’t begin to compare with the productivity of this remarkable lexical innovator.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard “really hard to phantom” in speech, and Google shows about two dozen hits for that construction alone—fathom>>phantom may be pretty well established for some speakers. [WTFT alert: I typed “should” rather than “sure” at first.]

#5 2011-09-15 16:02:02

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy, I don’t suppose we eggcornistas could be provided with this person’s phone number? ;^D

Board footer