Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-02-01 18:15:29

EoGuy

If You Can't Follow These Rules ,,please Reframe From Bidding..

Found on eBay.

Bil
Mesa AZ

#2 2009-08-19 15:55:58

mollymooly

Re: If You Can't Follow These Rules ,,please Reframe From Bidding..

I’ve seen one realworld and one online instance of reframe<refrain this week. Google gives 2700 hits for “please reframe from”, most of which would be mistakes. There are six on Google Books but I think they’re all self-publish-on-demand. Is this an eggcorn, though? “Reframe” in the sense of reframing a picture doesnt make much sense. In the sense of resetting the parameters of a debate, or changing one’s perspective on an issue, it’s hardly more logical, and strikes me as the kind of sophisticated terminology used by someone too educated to mistake “refrain” for “reframe”. But maybe there are some semiliterate aspiring Gestalt therapists.

There’s also the cite ‘He also recalls the reframe from “Who killed Cock Robin?”’, which uses the noun sense of refrain ~’chorus’. [http://books.google.ie/books?id=cC7sRE1kJgsC&lpg=PA74&dq=%22reframe%20from%22&num=100&client=firefox-a&pg=PA74#v=onepage&q=%22reframe%20from%22&f=false Northern love: an exploration of Canadian masculinity‎ – Page 74] There are 104 Google hits for “constant reframe”. This seems more plausible as an eggcorn rather than a mere malapropism; though it’s not very common.

#3 2011-09-16 21:57:41

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Just ran into one of these, found more online:

As body surfing is dangerous, please reframe from doing such in the concert area

I. I will reframe from killing. II. I will reframe from Stealing … I will reframe from taking that which is
not willingly given or stealing through action

I have just deleted a thread that specifically singled out a single member here. Please reframe from
posting any direct personal attacks

Before he began announcing the names he had asked everyone to reframe from clapping and yelling
until all the names were read.

Like Mollymooly, I don’t see it as highly eggcornical, especially where it is a verb, but I do get a bit of a buzz from construing it “change the terms of your interacting with the situation” (the way you reframe a debate or question), “step outside the box(=frame) away from (the seemingly natural way of acting)”.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2011-09-17 07:34:20

David Bird
Eggcornista

I say eggcorn. I can see it forensically from the perp’s frame of reference. It’s also a malaprop, of course, but one that makes a kind of twisted sense. Not ostrich-sized, but viable.

#5 2013-11-03 02:45:19

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

FWIW, I too see it as an eggcorn. To refrain from doing something might imply reframing the situation in such a way that one no longer sees a need to do that thing. Here’s the comment I encountered online (in a movie discussion thread) that introduced me to this eggcorn:

Apocalypse Now boring?! Please reframe from reproducing.

Board footer