Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-17 08:46:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Palacestine" for palestine

In Palacestine did Kubla Khan, a stately pleasure dome decree. Palacestine or Palacetine sounds glorious and biblical, though I’m guessing that the perps aren’t familiar with Palestinian architecture.

The Gaza Strip is Palacetinian
Yahoo Questions

Many (NOT ALL) of the food practices which were thought to be just for the Jews are practiced by Muslims, Orthodox/Coptic Christians, and Indigenous people of the historical areas surrounding Palacestine even extending as far east as India
Religion forum

Thats how I know you do your spamming from palacetine. Guess the adsense goes along way there doesnt it …
[Later] Again yanni are you really that stupid to think time, or number of spam posts gives you any seniority on this public forum. Perhaps it does in palacestine, but not here.
Foreign exchange message forum

We made our way up the hill past the Palacestine Hill, and through the Roman Forum.
Trip to Rome

Might that be the Palatine Hill?

Last edited by David Bird (2011-12-22 16:35:52)

#2 2011-09-17 10:52:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Palacestine" for palestine

The Palatine does sound palatial, even today. This is an etymological connection:
“The word itself is derived from the Latin name Palātium, for Palatine Hill, one of the seven hills in Rome” says Wikipedia. But of course the different branches of the word’s meaning have been sundered for centuries in most people’s minds, and I have no problem seeing this as an eggcorn, if it is standard for the users. I would suppose they likely suppose the hill was named because of the palaces built on it.
Palestine is not related, however (perhaps I will be accused of Philistinism for pointing out), so Palace(s)tine seems like a fairly good eggcorn to me. It might fit in the fourth corner of kem’s Lehman grid : the overall meaning for both acorn and eggcorn is a proper noun, but it is constructed in the case of the acorn from no independently meaningful pieces (at least most of us don’t see any clear components) and in the case of the eggcorn from a common noun. Perhaps the – stine suffix is a cognate of – stan ?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer