Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-17 07:51:09

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Golds" for goals

This is the round-tripper for gold >> goal *. With all the going for the gold going about in professional sports, it’s not surprising that people are setting themselves personal golds. (As opposed to setting the silvers, or getting bronzed).

One of my golds is to paint for one of the playboy mansion parties.
Body painter

one of my golds is to make $$$$$$ doing Home inspections
Dating profile

I’ll still have this post to remind myself what I have to accomplish. So, what are your golds for 2010? Feel free to share!
Chat

Not the same gold, but interesting enough to slip in here.

“Here’s what Gucci had to say about people who are misconceived ... about his character.”
[Comment]: y dis dude missin a gold rite in the front and aint got it fixed yet! i aint no millionaire rapper and I can say straight up if one of my golds fall out in the front, Im gettin tht shit fixed before i do anything else!!!!!
Rapper interview

* I must confess right here that I have a complete inability to parse the logic of X >> Y. Which way is which?

Last edited by David Bird (2011-09-17 07:54:46)

#2 2011-09-17 09:32:14

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Golds" for goals

Yes, that last quote is special. I had been totally unconceived about Gucci’s character, myself. fwiw:

Templeton has not been afraid of tackling the government head on, successfully challenging an ill-inconceived electricity restructuring plan

Apart from medals, a gold could easily be something of great worth, worth striving for, a sort of summum bonum .

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2011-09-17 09:35:07)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2011-09-17 10:55:02

kem
Eggcornista

I must confess right here that I have a complete inability to parse the logic of X >> Y. Which way is which?

Are you referring to the notation? Our convention has been [standard usage] >> [eggcorn]. Though I tend to write it as [eggcorn] << [standard usage] in order to highlight the eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2011-09-18 08:32:03

David Bird
Eggcornista

Ill-inconceived is classic. “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

#5 2012-11-28 22:30:57

fpberger
Eggcornista

Just now received notification that the tests run by one of my colleagues “meet the gold”.

#6 2012-11-30 19:37:11

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

IIRC, “gold” for “goal” is—or was, in the time and place wherein I was a child—a common mispronunciation by children learning English. At least, I have vague memories of hearing it regularly from other kids when I was very small, and perhaps using it myself then. Does anyone else here remember that from your childhood?

I think there’s a subset of eggcorns and other substitutions that are common child’s mispronunciations. “Drownd” for “drown”, yielding the past-tense “drownded”, is another example of a common child’s mispronunciation that comes to mind offhand, though not an eggcornish one. I also remember as a young child being confused by the then-popular “Ballad of Davy Crockett”, as I heard “ballad” as “palate”, and getting my dad to tell me what “palate” meant only confused me more (Why are they singing about Davy Crockett’s palate?)

Board footer