Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-06-27 03:57:54

charolastra

"buoy knife" for "Bowie knife"

If I understand it right, the difference between an eggcorn and a mere malapropism lies in whether the speaker has misinterpreted the etymology in a way that makes logical sense… is that right?

Google comes up with about 200 hits for buoy knife, most of which seem to be genuine misinterpretations based on the “bu-ee” pronunciation of Bowie knife that’s common in the American South. To wit:

http://www.myspace.com/36192481
Ryan is better than going sailing with an Australian with a buoy knife.

Given the context, is it possible that this writer thought of a Bowie knife as “a knife to cut buoys with”? It’s certainly more than just a phonetic spelling, since buoy is not spelled phonetically at all…

#2 2006-09-10 11:51:28

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: "buoy knife" for "Bowie knife"

Charo – Sailors have a particular style of knife. It is nothing like a Bowie Knife. Sailors’ knives have sharp edges, but no points. I have read that ships’ captains used to snap off the points of their sailors’ knives, so that the knives would be less dangerous in shipboard knife-fights. Even if this story is not true, sailors still carry edge-only/no-point knives. And sailors’ knives often have fids attached, unlike any other style of knife.

So the idea that a sailor-style knife might be called a BUOY KNIFE is pretty cool.

(Later) (Edit) I just looked at Google. Google has 143 BUOY KNIFEs. All of them appear to be plain mistakes, except that one you already found, which involved a sailor. But, I did not do an extensive read. I expected that I would find a brand name for sailor knives, but no.

So… It is off to the trademark office once again. I will register BUOY KNIFE in your name, but if you start a knife company and make any money, I will expect to be invited to the company Christmas party, at least.

Last edited by Tom Neely (2006-09-10 18:33:00)

Board footer