Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-09-26 14:04:04

evilray

"Meet you have way" for "meet you halfway"

Found in an email. Google gives +M hits including some song titles. Does that make it a mondegreen, too?

#2 2011-09-26 16:34:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Meet you have way" for "meet you halfway"

All depends on your definitions. If any restructuring which happens to occur in a song is thereby shown to be a mondegreen, sure it is. But that may not be the most useful definition.
I would consider it somewhat mondegrenous by my definitions whether or not it occurs in a song or poem (which I take to be a peripheral aspect of what I take to be the mondegreen phenomenon). It is a restructuring, standard for at least some of its perpetrators (like an eggcorn) probably arising from mishearing (a slip of the ear rather than the tongue), which doesn’t make a lot of sense (as most mondegreens don’t but eggcorns by definition do.) It is not, however, like most mondegreens, restricted to a single context (by occurring only as part of a longish phrase); there are lots of examples of have way across , have way through , come have way , have way house and so forth; it seems likely to be a restructuring of halfway in pretty much any context for some people.
It probably has a better claim to be called a malapropism: it is the use of the wrong word ( have ) in place of a similar-sounding right word ( half ) with no particular semantic appropriateness to the substitution.
If it made sense (and who am I to say it can’t—I just haven’t seen it yet) it would be a good eggcorn.
btw, welcome back to the forum, ray. (smiles evil Lee)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer