Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-10 11:09:10

joseftu

Cut a knife with it

Heard this one on a radio call-in show, and I really like it.

The woman’s marriage was over “for all intensive purposes,” and the tension between her and her in-laws was “so thick you could cut a knife with it.”

It’s not quite logical, of course, but the imagery had me thinking for most of the morning.

#2 2006-09-10 11:59:13

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: Cut a knife with it

joseftu – You prompted me to think of KNIVES. Has anybody ever said the KNIFE OF HEARTS, rather than the KNAVE of HEARTS? I found only one extremely good intentional poetic instance in Google.

Now, KNife and KNave lead me to think of KNAP. Has anyone ever said NAPSACK for KNAPSACK? (It would be a sack you take with you when you head out to take a nap in the forest, no?)—- I just googled, and found thousands of instances, most apparently intentional, many obviously eggcorns.

Last edited by Tom Neely (2006-09-10 19:54:33)

Board footer