Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-10-09 15:22:01

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Cherry can" for "jerry can"

In A Dictionary of Slang, Jargon & Cant, embracing English, American, and Anglo-Indian slang, Pidgin English, Tinkers’ Jargon and other irregular phraseology, from 1889:

Jerry. This word is common among the lower classes of the great cities of England in such phrases as jerry-go-nimble, diarrhoea ; jerry-shop, an unlicensed public-house with a back door entrance; and jerry-builder, a cheap and inferior builder who runs up those miserable, showy looking tenements, neither air-proof nor water-proof. Jerry seems derivable from the gypsy jerr or jir (i.e., jeer), the rectum, whence its application to diarrhoea, a back door, and all that is contemptible. From the same root we have the Gaelic jerie, pronounced jarey, behind; the French derrière. The Gaelic word also signifies wretched, miserable, in which sense it is strictly applicable to the jerry-builder, and to the contemptible characters popularly know as Jerry-sneaks. A Jerry, a chamber utensil, abbreviation of Jeroboam. (Popular), a round felt hat or pot hat.
Jerry-sneak. A henpecked husband (see also Jerries from 1807).

Did you enjoy the cute folk derivation of derriere from a Romany word for rectum (which I take to be xírpa)?

The original jerry can, for carrying fuel, was of German origin, which British troops apparently admired and copied in WWII. “Jerry” for the Germans was a derogatory nickname first used in WWI. The first plastic jerry can was the familiar red one, which does look sort of cherryish:

I see one of the smoke city betties, number 26, drinking from a red gasoline cherry can. Rocket fuel maybe? Go Bettie …
Rollergirl tweet

I’d keep a 3-4 litre cherry can full of gas in the trunk though, so I wouldn’t be stranded.
Car forum

By test runs I mean ride the crap out of it till it has no more gasoline to ride haha. Don’t worry, because it’s a test my friend was following me with a cherry can of gas ;)
Motorbike forum

See also jerry-built vs. jury-rigged.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-11-08 12:50:56)

Board footer