Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-10-14 18:50:00

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"petty" for "pity"

From an Internet discussion about an item someone had been trying to sell: “petty nobody wanted it , his/her loss.” “Petty” for “pity” is, I think, new to the Eggcorn Forum. Googling “It’s a petty” yielded 490 purportedly unique hits, of which about two dozen, by my sampling/estimate, are this eggcorn, for instance:

Then we have to deal with one of these republicans who won’t get anything done. It’s a petty really.

In my world it’s a petty when a good idea goes to waste without getting to test a part of the actual idea out.

It’s a petty that no loops can be save by any digital mean, so once it’s gone… it’s gone.

I think the pronunciation of “petty” is similar enough to that of “pity” for it to be an eggcorn, but different enough to make a mere misspelling less likely. The only meaning connection I can figure out is the negative connotation of both words, with a sense of diminution in both cases.

Board footer