Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-10-14 13:27:52

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"sink" for "sync"

From a note left for me by a friend I’m house-sitting for: “Be sure the Motorola box is powered on when you watch TV to sink the cable to the TV.” Googling “sink up” yielded quite a few unique hits, many of which appear to be this eggcorn—though just how many is uncertain, because a lot of them were ambiguous to me. It seems unlikely to be just a misspelling, as anyone who’d spell it “sink” presumably has no idea that the word is supposed to be short for “synchronize”. As far as the meaning-connection goes, well…uh…maybe they’re thinking in terms of hierarchical layers of electronics (audio, video, etc.), so that syncing them up would involve “sinking” one thing down through the strata to connect it up with something on a lower level?

#2 2011-10-14 18:10:02

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "sink" for "sync"

I loved it when a church choir “lip-sank the anthem”.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2011-10-17 15:27:40

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "sink" for "sync"

Could also be the influence of the electronic term “heat sink.” See http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1750

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer