Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-10-18 10:19:36

David Bird
Eggcornista

A guttural reaction

A google search for “eggcorn” yields multiple pages these days, 87 today. Some of these contain interesting stuff that deserves wider delectation. For instance, ‘Earle’ sent the following blend to the Boston Globe way back in 2007, along with a sensible explanation for its genesis:

KFI, a talk radio station here in Los Angeles, has a reporter covering the Phil Spector murder trial. This morning he reported on a defense motion to exclude evidence that Spector referred to women with an obscenity. [The defense argued], according to the reporter, that potential women jurors would have a guttural reaction to hearing the word. I found this mixture of gut reaction and visceral reaction pleasant on many levels.
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas … n_ove.html

The same reaction was noted just recently by Jonas Wisser in an article in the Washington Post, although this did not generate the level of ink that Sarah’s Palinism did.

“The pushback and the guttural reaction from women against the Republicans agenda out of the gate, the war on women that the Republicans have been waging since they took over the House, I think, is going to not only restore but possibly help us exceed the president’s margin of victory in the next election,” Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the new chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, told reporters last month.
Planned Parenthood as 2012 football – The Fix – The Washington Post

Other hits:

It was not a direct hit but a glancing hit. The forearm to the back of the head was a guttural response.
Violence in church

For these Eastern Christians, Western brokenness and deathlike alienation from the sacred evokes a guttural reaction not unlike that experienced by Americans and Europeans at the sight of starving children.
Inspirational lit

And those carbs really can expand the hips:

I’d had big engines before but never with carbs. So my butt reaction to the carbs carries some credibility.
Motorbike customization forum

And do see also guttural >> gutteral, and especially Ben Zimmer’s LanguageLog post away back in ‘05.

Board footer